How many of you keep the eater sized catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BigCat4, Aug 20, 2006.

1. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    me and my dad only keep em if we are low on money and need food but when were good on food we through them back

now the sunfish and bluegill we keep anyway i think they breed enough to keep the population up

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i agree with that philosify , iv been keeping a few my self latly freezer stock got low and deer seasons coming too

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I keep some eaters when its close to a fish fry time but i usually release everything.

4. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Dont really keep fish to eat... its mainly sport for me.. but i agree, deer season is on its way,,, jerky yeah!!

5. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I don't have a boat, which means alot of walking usually. I'm way too lazy to carry fish and gear back, so I just take a picture and throw em back...

6. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    oh well like i said it helps the family and saves a little money and i love fishing its the best sport in the world! but sometime syou have to use nature to survive and we dont go hunting but we get free deer meat from our freinds so ya that helps

7. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    I always CPR if its a good one and then C&R all of them. I have always been the catch and release type. I hope that with all the ones I do release that my kids will have the opportunity to catch more as well.

8. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i keep em even though i have food. i keep em when i plan to have a fish fry. i throw reall small ones in stocked ponds. anything over 5 pounds i throw em in a stocked pond. 1 - 4 pound channels i keep for the freezer.

9. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    I give some away and keep some for us. I don't think anyone in my area is depleting the channels since there is a stocking program at all the lakes and a daily limit of 6. Actually not that many fishing for channels around here. Mostly bass and muskie.

10. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    I keep a few and release a few. I like fish. They're good. Some folks release them all but I don't. I don't let them go to waste either. I do fish fries for my work and church and smoe here at home. My mouth is waterin right now! :smile2: :big_smile:

11. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I'd like to take some home and eat them. My grandfather (the man who taught me how to fish) would always bring home an assortment of fish. Bass, carp, cat, and the occasional giant bluegill is what we would eat at our family fish fry.

I am a horrible cook, so I usually throw them back. My brother-in-law has a motto I'm goin to start using: "Over ten lbs let them go, and we need at least four - five pan sized in order to take home to eat."

Occasionally I will give fish away, especially when I fish private ponds. I always give the owner first pick, and once the guy (the owner of the farm pond) said he wanted them all, 15 nice bullhead. Didn't hurt my feelings one bit, cause he invited me back to fish again.

12. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Occasionaly I will keep a couple of eater size, under 5lbs for the wife and me to have a good catfish dinner, otherwise back they go.

13. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    If I have a taste for fish I wil keep enough and eat them right away, occasionaly stock up for fish fry.

14. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Keep a few small ones every now and then, but release most.

15. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I keep a few up to 5lbs for eating, almost always turn anything bigger back.
    Bill

16. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i keep quite a few actually. the thing is, most of the fish i keep and clean, i don't get to eat! i give away the majority. my mammaw just loves catfish so i try and keep her stocked up and i usually have a few fish fry's a year. i DON'T keep the big ones. if it's over 10 it swims again. but i do keep my share of small fish. the way i see it, i'm just making sure the big boys got more food to eat so they can keep on growing. :big_smile:

17. barney leonard

barney leonard New Member

State:
    Mannford,OK
    I keep some eaters but let the bigger ones swim again

18. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    thank you all im glad to kno we aint the only ones that keep catfish every once in a while

19. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I release everything over 10lbs. I often keep ones from 1lbs to 6lbs to eat. If I catch enough of the smaller ones anyhting bigger goes back in. Often I wont keep anyhting over 5lbs.

20. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I keep eater size cats some of the time 1-5 to fry & anything 6-10 that I keep gets smoked. However I think I'll end up keeping more as time goes by since my Dr wants me to cut back on red meat. I have also started grilling,steming and baking some to cut back on the fat.