The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
F18D9383-8E6F-496F-A815-8DCF50A9EA68.jpeg

65 lbs., Missouri on cut shad. It took me 3 years to break 30 lbs. and then an additional year to break 50. I always consider the flatheads to be kinda of a lucky catch because I’m usually targeting blues. This was a couple years ago and I’ve only caught a couple flaties since.

·
Administrator
10,499 Posts
Just a note for some of the newer guys and a few of the old timers.

It is a site requirement that your profile page have your FIRST name and your State in the appropriate block. It appears under your avatar and is meant to promote a more friendly atmosphere on the forum. It help others answer questions when they know where you are from.

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
As the title says, how many of you have personally broke the 50 pound mark on flatheads. If you have, please list state and bait. Just curious really.

I personally have not, but did hold a legit 50+ my buddy caught.
71 pound flathead caught on live perch in Texas 5 years ago. Released to get bigger! Richard Muckelroy

·
Registered
48 Posts
51,53,55,56,58,60,61,63,67. To many up to 50 to remember anymore. I fish the tn river from Saltillo landing up river tocravens landing and down river to the Clifton bridge. I use nothing but skipjack. Have tried live bait and have never got a bite. All have been caught over the last 5 years. I fish daily if possible. I’m retired and live at the river.
Wow is that anywhere close to Dandridge TN? I would love to go fishing with you the next time I come down there to my brothers. I was down there on Loudon and everywhere else a month or so ago and fished for 3 days and never got a bite from anything. It was during the full moon and when that cold weather hit unfortunately. That's pretty impressive man.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Not sure if everyone agrees... would be an interesting thread... but I find that Flatheads take more predetermination or "targeting" than blues. I suppose that's why I typically chase the blues more often. Even fishing for blues we get lucky with some flatheads, striper to, but I have to be in a serious mood to go after the Flatheads. Is more of a mission than recreational

·
Registered
497 Posts
ALMOST! I just caught my PB, but it came one pound shy of putting me in the 50-pound club. This one was 49!
IMG_4586.jpg

If only it had eaten a bigger carp before snacking on my skipjack chunk!
IMG_4584.jpg

CPR’d to come back & get it when she’s a little bigger...
IMG_4595.jpg

**Ohio River, cut skipjack near the mouth of a creek, 30 feet of water

·
Administrator
10,499 Posts
I think that first pic is going to be a new avatar.

Those booney hats are good. I lost my original one in the Ohio River. It surprised me that they apparently don't float. Didn't take long to replace it.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Mo river and lower Gasconade 65 even big boy on cut skip. 56 on head section and half fresh cut moon eye. Few 50 to 55s on live carp, sunfish, moon eye, or bullheads. Wife got a 54 on a worm ball few years back. Seems like we catch a lot of the big ones here in September on rr.
Lota nice other ones but was limb line or trot line fish so they do not count.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts