The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
Jon from Indiana
1,334 Posts
I'm kissing 30 with a 27.7 lber. Before that it was 12.5 lb for the longest time, I couldn't get away from 10 lb or less club.

I've been fishing for whatever would bite since I can remember but been specifically targeting flatheads for about 8 years roughly. And I would say maybe only 4 years roughly trying to target trophy size.

I still have much to learn and a lot of time to put in on the water for my 50.

·
Registered
463 Posts
This is not me, but it's my boat, my gear. Etc. Since I rarely reel in a fish unless fishing alone, preferring guest to have that fun, I still consider fish in my boat as my catch also. This was 65lbs. When you throw out multiple reels, even if you take turns reeling in a fish.... I think we all, or "the boat" caught the fish. NC, 6 inch shad. My wife's biggest was 46. I don't think I have reeled in a 50+ flathead??. Many have been in the boat
20140525_105412.jpg

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Dont think too much into folks..it's just a thread to discuss big flatheads. When I said I broke 30 fast I meant from the time I started to pursue big flats. I take it for granted that if you're not targeting (thus equipped) big flats, then 30-50 pound fish aren't very realistic.

·
Registered
463 Posts
This is not me, but it's my boat, my gear. Etc. Since I rarely reel in a fish unless fishing alone, preferring guest to have that fun, I still consider fish in my boat as my catch also. This was 65lbs. When you throw out multiple reels, even if you take turns reeling in a fish.... I think we all, or "the boat" caught the fish. NC, 6 inch shad. My wife's is 46. I honestly don't remember if I have. Many have been in the boat
View attachment 310202
Something about a big flathead that has a special attraction to it. I'm always amazed at the capacity of that mouth

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
838 Posts
This is not me, but it's my boat, my gear. Etc. Since I rarely reel in a fish unless fishing alone, preferring guest to have that fun, I still consider fish in my boat as my catch also. This was 65lbs. When you throw out multiple reels, even if you take turns reeling in a fish.... I think we all, or "the boat" caught the fish. NC, 6 inch shad
View attachment 310202
Marty,
It would be a memorable honor to be present when such a fish is caught.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Marty,
Yes sir,
Caught in an 8ft deep by 8feet wide scour hole behind an island that water rushes over in a flood. All the surrounding water was 4 feet. We knew a big fish would settle in here after a nights hunt. Caught him at daybreak. I love it when a plan pays off.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Marty,
I remember this like it was yesterday..... Many big fish will come straight to the boat. Always a trophy when they do this. And when I saw it happening, I got ready. Dip net ready, one big scoop on the pass..... I cheated everybody out of a 20 minute fight. In hindsight, I wish I had not done that. Even at the risk of losing him. But, what are you going to do after it's done

·
Administrator
10,478 Posts
Gregg, there is no problem with the thread. I just wanted to add a little prospective to the question. A huge flathead can be a relative term and a true trophy for any fisherman.

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
686 Posts
As far as how long.
I had just started fishing with my partner. We were actually hybrid fishing. Put some down lines out in a big hole. We were just drifting thru the hole. Rod goes down and i get a hold of something big. Drag a 42 lb. flat up. I said id like to do that again. We went and anchored in another spot. Caught a 24 lb. flat. Been on the hunt for big cats ever since.

It took 7 years to break 50 pounds. 35 was the biggest i caught during that time.

By the way, 50 pounder caught in the same hole as the 42.

·
Registered
254 Posts
51,53,55,56,58,60,61,63,67. To many up to 50 to remember anymore. I fish the tn river from Saltillo landing up river tocravens landing and down river to the Clifton bridge. I use nothing but skipjack. Have tried live bait and have never got a bite. All have been caught over the last 5 years. I fish daily if possible. I’m retired and live at the river.

·
Administrator
10,478 Posts
51,53,55,56,58,60,61,63,67. To many up to 50 to remember anymore. I fish the tn river from Saltillo landing up river tocravens landing and down river to the Clifton bridge. I use nothing but skipjack. Have tried live bait and have never got a bite. All have been caught over the last 5 years. I fish daily if possible. I’m retired and live at the river.
Location, Location. Location. AND retired. lol

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Going to have to make a couple of uncomfortable confessions here, I have caught a FH that weighed 51 lbs. The bait was live gill. Now the rest of the story, it was on a limb line, while still exciting it was not comparable to landing one on a rod. Even harder to own up to is I butchered that majestic fish. That was at least 25 years ago, I no longer limb line, bank pole, or trot line all my trophy fishing is for sport and anything 10 lbs. plus gets photographed not butchered. Wonder what that fish would be now if I had turned him loose and he were still living. In the part of the Ohio where I caught that fish Flats used to be quite common now for some reason they are a rare catch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As the title says, how many of you have personally broke the 50 pound mark on flatheads. If you have, please list state and bait. Just curious really.

I personally have not, but did hold a legit 50+ my buddy caught.
And yes i have busted the 50 lb mark at the mouth of kanawha river wv useing a half of a skip jack. Also forgot my go pro at home so i didnt get picks. Sorry for me and yawl. Took me 28 years.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts