The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, how many of you have personally broke the 50 pound mark on flatheads. If you have, please list state and bait. Just curious really.

I personally have not, but did hold a legit 50+ my buddy caught.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I haven’t broken the 50 pound mark yet, but my wife has. Bottomed out the 50-lb scales that I used to carry, so we don’t know the exact weight.
Ohio River / WV / cut bluegill on a Cabela’s Whuppin Stick combo, 30-lb Berkeley Big Game, Gamakatsu 8/0 circle

Until then, she laughed at the pics of guys “hugging” big fish... now she knows why!
IMG_0116.jpg

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. Saw a real 50 pounder pop up on some PA facebook groups. Figured it would make a decent enough thread here.
I think it is a great thread. I would like to add a 2 questions with your permission.

How long did it take to catch your first flathead over 30 pounds? How long did it take to break 50 pound mark?

·
Administrator
10,489 Posts
Doesn't seem to be a level playing ground for who did what. Many of us started catfishing when we we could walk. So I guess those years count. Genricks Pond, a 5 acre confinement on a farm in central Indiana (at the time one of the biggest waters we could get to) didn't have blues or even flatheads that I ever saw.

Now if I had started catfishing, and started out for trophy cats like many on here have done, I guess it would not have taken so long.

So I am glad to hear folks that have just started catfishing are learning from sites like this and catching big fish but I take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Doesn't seem to be a level playing ground for who did what. Many of us started catfishing when we we could walk. So I guess those years count. Genricks Pond, a 5 acre confinement on a farm in central Indiana (at the time one of the biggest waters we could get to) didn't have blues or even flatheads that I ever saw.

Now if I had started catfishing, and started out for trophy cats like many on here have done, I guess it would not have taken so long.

So I am glad to hear folks that have just started catfishing are learning from sites like this and catching big fish but I take it with a grain of salt.
That's an extremely valid point. I grew up fishing from the time I was 6 years old but I never knew anything of trophy flatheads. I did not start fishing for them until I was in my 40s

·
Registered
191 Posts
To top that off it was a bass fisherman introduce me to trophy flatheads. I was just putting my boat in the water with my son whenever it was just beginning to get dark of course I was the bass fisherman are coming off the water. I have never had a problem catching channel cats 10 lb and under. So I always found it funny whenever best guys were like yeah, I caught a 4# fish man! I would show them pictures of 15 Town channels and then laugh and walk away. On this particular day there was a lot of buzz around 1 boat. So I went over to the boat and asked, what did he catch? He responded a 36#! I called bull shirt...he calmly opened the livewell to display a giant to me at the time flathead. I was hooked.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I also grew up fishing for everything & didn’t get “serious” about catfish until about 10 years ago. The one that “sealed the deal” for me was a 32” flathead that I caught on a 3/16 oz jig while fishing for sauger & white bass in a creek near my parents’ house. I joined this site shortly after that in 2011 & have been focused on catfish ever since. I’m still hunting for my first 30-lb flathead, but I’m fortunate enough to have a wife who lets me handle the big ones that she catches! The 50+ in my post above is our boat record & her PB from 2014. Her previous PB was 37 pounds the previous year about a half mile upriver from the big one. It was actually the third fish caught on the same creek chub!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts