How many of you came from a large family?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Who, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Who

Who New Member

State:
    Texas
    Of at least 5? I would like to ask you some questions if I may.
    I posted about my son and his wife and 3 sons moving in with me. Things are going ok but I need a little help/ideas.
    Do you have any tips on planning your meals?
    This is the bigest problem for now. I want to plan meals and they are, just cook what we have. I can see this to be a big problem in shoping for food.
    Do you cook ahead or meal to meal?
    Thanks,
    Rick

2. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I had four sisters...so there was seven in our family...lots of soups and stews and homemade bread...never had it so good.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    We were all large. Hell! I'm 6' 4" and 250lbs. LOL! SORRY!

4. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I have 1 older brother 2 younger brothers and 2 younger sisters
    Deer season sure helps alot with 300lb of free meat

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have 5 older sisters. With my dad growing up during the depression, he didn't have much pitty for picky eaters. You would either eat what was being served, or you would starve. I learned to cook at an early age as my sisters were to lazy to do anything, and my folks were at work most of the time. I pretty much raised myself. As for planning, I would say this is when we are eating, this is what we are eating...any questions? Any complainers will be put to work next time feeding everyone.

6. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Rick,
    With 4 kids, I found that I had to plan our meals in advance, or else be making alot of extra trips to the grocery store - not to mention spending alot more on convenience-type foods.
    Best deals are on the family-pack sizes of meats, so that's still what I buy, even though it's no longer necessary to cook such large amounts.

When they were all at home, I'd do some major cooking on one or two days of the week and then freeze batches of the leftovers, so there'd be a couple whole meals set aside for those days when there were other things going on. Those dishes would be things like lasagna, roast chicken (then use the leftovers to make chicken a'la king or chicken enchiladas.)Also, we'd have a frozen thingy one day a week, if possible... like a frozen pizza and tossed salad.. just to give the cook a break :smile2:

I especially love my crock pot, because on the days we get up real early, I can just throw everything in there and not have to deal with it mid-afternoon, when I'm already tired out - lol.

Oh, and don't be afraid to delegate some of the peeling, preparing, and clean-up ... I dunno how old the kids are, but even if they gripe a bit, it sure is good for them. Makes the kitchen - the place to be :lol:
    Good luck!

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

i have 4 sisters and one brother. like Paul, seems to me, we ate what we could afford. had a big truck patch so we had all the goood veggies one could want. used to raise chickens and a cow or 2 also, so we had meat. went hunting and when we brought home squirrel or rabbit, that hit the skillet also.

if your budget allows, planning meals would be a nice thing, imho.
    but many people have survived by being inventive with what the cupbord has in it now:smile2: