How many of you all own Gheenoes?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by kyredneck, Jan 7, 2007.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Repeat post from: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36346&page=4

Don't know if any of you all have ever seen one of these: http://www.gheenoe.net/ , but I replaced my 12' jon boat with a 13' gheenoe about 3 yrs ago and I love it. It's the perfect thing for me to put around in down on the river. Stability is their hallmark, you can stand up and walk around in them, take a leak off the side, switch places with your partner, in fact you can just about stand on the edge of the boat without it flipping. The water does not get too shallow for them, they fit in tight places, perfect for sneaking in on log jams, stickups, brush piles, etc. I installed seats and a 5 hp Briggs & Stratton 4 stroke motor on it and the gas mileage is outstanding. I love it.

I hear they're real popular with duck hunters. It's funny, the guy in Alabama that sold it to me said "You ain't gonna flip it, you might get drunk and fall out of it, but you ain't gonna flip it". So far I haven't done either.

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Those look alot like the Makenzie boat but smaller I am going to have to check into these thanks.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I swamped one once in the surf at Cape Canaveral. 25hp merc was bolted on and we had to get it off to try to flip the boat. Had a heck of a time with it.

Finally got the motor off, had to turn the boat sideways to the surf and wait for a wave to help flip it. When it went over, it came down on me and my buddy, bought broke our legs. Did manage to save the one flounder I'd caught.

Ended up on the government side. Security guards, guns drawn, but that's fishing:lol:

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The concept for the boat isn't new, but few are in the boating world. It does look like they carried it out well, though.