How many of you all have am/fm radios on your boats

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by bigredsbbq, Apr 13, 2006.

1. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm looking to put a radio on my new (to me) fishing boat can i just use a old car stereo or do i need to get a marine radio I will be needing to listen to the baseball games all summer while out fishing
    what kinda set up do you have
    Thanks Trevor

2. katgirl

katgirl New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have been looking at the cheap set up from BPS. Dual brand. AM/FM cassette with speaskers. You also need to buy the face plate and antenna. It is not hard to install but I will let Ersel tell you about his cause that is the last one I installed.

3. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I just put a cheap car radio in mine. I mounted it inside a dry box and put the speakers up under the console so it wouldn't get wet. I seldom ever use it though.

4. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I have a portable on board, works great, cheaper, and I did not have to modify the boat, or tap into the already over used batteries on board.

5. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    I have a marine am/fm radio and speakers that work pretty well. The only reason why I went with the marine grade stuff is that my boat sits out almost all summer long so it was bound to get wet one way or another. I think I might have a pair of marine grade speakers I could send out to ya if I can find them. LOL

6. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I put a cheap car radio in mine that I had in the garage for serveral years. Used regular small Stereo speakers taken from kids radio and mounted high and dry. The wires look terrible but..... oh well. I've had it in it for three years and still works ok. The bad part is that this radio has lights and draws from the battery all time a little. Since I always have it plugged in on a charger at home... not a big problem.

7. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I bought a small portable last year for about $5. I keep it in the dry box. If it gets wet or broken, no big deal.

8. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use a Bosch jobsite radio in mine. It works good and can handle the bouncing around, plus I didnt have to modify my boat or anything and I can just take it whenever I want and where ever I want.

9. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    My tracker has a am/fm cd in it from jvc infinity speakers which are for cars also but they are waterproof it plays mp3's too and cdr's my ranger has a marine radio setup in it I wont have a boat without sounds in it myself.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Having a radio on my boat seems too much like going to Florida on vacation and just sitting in the motel room watching TV.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Please think of others,while using your radio.Many a person enjoying a day of peace and quiet,are rudely subjected to someones LOUD radio or CD player.People with radios and players all seem to have one thing in common.They are so sure that everyone within a mile would just love to hear their race,ballgame,music,etc.Being the wonderful intelligent,and generous people that they are,they share with all.They can not imagine anyone being stupid or ignorant enough to like peace and quiet,or the sounds of nature.My wife seemed to find it offensive,when I bought her a water proof portable radio that only worked with earphones.We use to clear canoe trails in the Okefenokee swamp.Many times you could hear music for a hour or more.It would get louder as it got closer to us.Many times they would turn down the radio or player and talk.One of the most asked question was "WHERE IS ALL THE WILDLIFE".Some were college students recording the wildlife that they saw.One of these loud,wildlife recording groups had their professor along.Yes,he was a expert on wildlife.He told us so,after turning down the radio,and asking,"where is all the wildlife"? We are all human,so we all forget or sometimes just don;t think.Thanks,peewee-williams

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i have a jvc cd too. i just got some polypropoline speakers from wal mart. 6" round with wire grills. there was a radio origionally in mine and speakers too so i just replaced them. yep it will rock but the only time it does is when its in the back yard and were having a lil party. its sitting right there so its the closest radio. on the water it on sometimes but i always like to be able to talk over it. if i cant ill turn it down. basically for when im alone. i prefer to hear the frogs but its nice to have if ya want to hear it.

13. captain5214

captain5214 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    i like the quite and to listen to nature

14. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I have a Sony receiver Marine grade,cd and MP3 player and generic Marine Grade speakers. I also added Sirius satellite which is nice when i want to listen to sports and such.

15. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    AM/FM/Cassette came installed on our pontoon and we unhooked it. Didn't need it pulling from the battery. Have a good but inexpensive portable AM/FM/CD we can take if and when we want.

16. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I'm just in a lund so I don't have a radio anymore, when I lived in WA I had a bayliner with a decent Marine Radio they were the best because of the rain and salt water. they tend to cost more and have a little less selection but they will hold up to the weather.

17. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    The only thing I want to hear is the fish smacking their lips at my bait.