How many night fishermen use boats on large rivers?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Sunburn, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Sunburn

Sunburn New Member

State:
    Williamsto
    I live near the Ohio River and fish it a good bit, but don't spend much time on her after dark with my boat. Do you guys feel safe out there on the big rivers at night in boats? Phil...

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes.................................

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I fish the ohio at night and have never had a problem. It is just like in the daytime but, it is dark, lol!!!
    Just watch for the lights on the barges and stay out of the channel.

PS. Make sure your lights are in working order before you leave the house!!!!

4. dg775577

dg775577 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Phil
    I have been asking myself that same question. I just got my first boat this June and have been wanting to get out on the river. I have spent a lot of time getting used to the boat on Lakes and was now comfortable with the boat, it's and my abilities. Last Saturday I got my nerve up and put in at Madison (IN) about 7 in the evening. Went up river a few miles, found a nice spot and anchored about 100 ft from the IN shore. Night fell and before long here comes a northbound towboat. He was diligent in using his spotlight looking for anything on the water. I kept shooting him a couple flashes with a hand held spotlight unitl he shined his light on me. I was getting pretty excited about the situation when he went by, but everything was fine. I would recommend having a spotlight on hand for this purpose. I am also going to get a handheld marine VHF radio to make contact with the tows. Another thing that my be handy is a knowledge of the river you can get from the river charts. Here is a link -
    http://www.lrl.usace.army.mil/optm/default.asp?mycategory=41
    By looking these charts over you can get a good idea of the big picture of the river, where the channel is, hazards, etc.

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    well i spend alot of time on the river at night, I always have running lights ready to turn on and a spotlight handy, know the river and stay off the shipping channels and fish all night.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I'm still getting comfortable with the Missouri River at night but so far, no problems to speak of. There's very little boat traffic on this part of the river and I haven't seen a commercial vessel of any kind up to this point.

I have a GPS / sonar unit, and following my trail back to the ramp at night on the GPS really makes navigation a lot easier - all I have to do is keep my boat on the trail and keep an eye out on the water for floating logs, etc.

So far, I've only gone out in the evening and came back at night, almost never changing position after dark. And I certainly wouldn't try to find a new spot to fish after dark -- only spots that I've previously marked on the GPS and which I know how to get in and out of. Too many sand bars and submerged dikes to be messing around in unfamiliar territory.

7. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    You have got to have some good experience, proper equipment and a good light. I went out on the lake one evening, let it get dark, and got lost. Spotlight went dead. Called my stepdad to come to the boatramp and flash his headlights and honk the horn. Saw him and went for it, but there was some land in the way which I almost ran into. Ended up running aground and breaking the shear pin on the motor. No fun. Paddled back and finally got home. A nightmare, but a horrible end to a fun time. Now I go out without fear because I use GoogleEarth to get myself familiar with the layout and then scout a little. Night time always takes awhile though because you just can't see as well.

8. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I only fish from the bank at night. I seem to have a habit of falling a sleep in my chair while waiting on those flatties.

9. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I try to stay in areas I know and are comfortable with. Where I fish the people at the boat ramps are more of a problem than being on the water at 3am.

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Some good advice given in the above posts. Common sense,knowledge of the body of water, and the proper equipment are all key ingredients.

11. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    the barges aint running blind, they got the radar and if you're in the way they WILL let you know. nite fishing big rivers on a boat is the only way to go, just don't anchor under bridges in w. va because they like to throw rocks.

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Keep plenty of light on board and a separte battery for power. I have a 2nd battery and I also take a starting unit that doubles as power.
    Always have a marine radio on board and monoter channel 16, I think it is the same channel everywhere.
    When I see a barge headed my way I flash my spotlight at him so he can see where I am, Most of the time they let me know They understand where I am.
    When barge traffic is near by I never anchor with less than 10 feet of line for every foot of water I am in and if I have 2 anchors out I pull in the rear anchor before the barge wake get to me.
    Just think safty at night and you should be ok. I also never go out alone at night and if you have a non swimer aboard I insist they wear a floatition device at all times.
    If you go out at night enough you will get foged in at some point in time. Don't panic if you need to stay out all night, so be it. I try to go upstream early so if I have trouble I will float back to the ramp in time.

Have fun, the river can be a very different experience at night. I enjoy it most when at night we get several boats together for an all nighter.

13. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Fishing on the Mississippi river at night is one of the best time's there is, but remember that big water requires a lot of resepct, and night fishing is different than day fishing. Just be careful and take along skeeter dope!!!!!!!!!

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I fish the Mississippi River below St Louis, both day and night. As to your question, NO, I don't feel safe. I always tell folks, the day I feel safe, I'll quit going out there. The big river has a way of lulling you into thinking everything will be okay. About then, it will jump up and bite you. A good dose of fear is healthy when going out on a big river at night.

15. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    i fish on the Ohio from my boat at nightime..You have to let yourself get comfortable with the River, and like everyone is saying make sure you have a good spotlight..I fish around downtown cincy so it is a well lit area from the city lights...Fishing at night is the way to go....Thats when the big boys come out to play..Oh yeah, watch for barges too, and try to anchor where you know they wont come..For as big as those things are, they sure arent lit up very good....You see the light, and it looks like a little jon boat or something...Then when it is right up on you, you know that it is a barge..They are real quiet too...You just have to be carefull..Dont go out there getting drunk, or being foolish, and you will be fine.

16. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Forgot to add.....Give the River the respect it deserves..Never get to comfortable

17. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio

He was probably thinking why in the h$#@ is this guy shining his spotlight at me.:lol: :lol: :lol: I wouldn't do that to every tug that is in your vicinity. If you are in their way, they WILL let you know.

18. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Just remember...NEVER lose respect for the river!:wink:

19. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    You BetI'ev fished the White River a few times after dark

20. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yep man its the only time I fish the missouri in the summer. Just have your boat in good working order and things should be good.