How many jugs do you fish with?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by wildturkey, Apr 2, 2009.

1. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was just wondering how many jugs you put in the water on a typical fishing trip. When I get through I will have about 40 jugs made up. That seems like enough to keep one person busy if the fish are biting.

Jim

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Here in Okla. each person can have 20 jugs. I never have check to see how many hooks you can have on each one. I only have 2 hooks on each of mine. If the fish are biting 20 is enough to keep you busy.

3. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    Semper Fi Mac

You bring up a good question. I have not seen in the regs. about the number that is allowed in Texas. I think a maximum of 5 hooks per jug. I am only putting one hook per jug....maybe 2. I do know the jugs have to be white.
    Jim

4. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    Here in Kansas I use 8 anchored jugs, 2 hooks each. 1 hook live bait 1 hook cut bait. 8 jugs is max by law. Good luck fishing!!!

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Generally there are 40 jugs in the boat... 20 are mine, 20 are my fishing partners. However, 8 to 10 jugs are about the most we have ever put out. We have never been able to find the fish to put more out. LOL Just because the law allows it is no reason to say we have to comply.

6. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    Around here 8 are plenty enough to find bait for. More does not always mean better.

7. sheldonc

sheldonc New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Here in Arkansas we are allowed 20 jugs per person. I go by myself a lot and generally put out all 20. I put some in the coves and some on the points and whichever ones start getting hit I will move most of the others to similar locations. If I have a partner we will put out more. Live bream is not a problem to catch on Lake Ouachita so bait is not a problem.
    Depending on what I am fishing for I generally bait half with bream and half with cherry coolaid/garlic/flavored hot dogs.

8. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I will put out 25 and float down the river for about 4 hours and thats a night for me

9. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I am set up to fish 40. If its windy or a lot of traffic I might not put
    them all out.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Because I put my freefloating jugs out in a scattered pattern to cover as much area as possible, I won't even mess with putting out less than 20; preferably there are at least one or two people fishing with me, so we'll generally have 40-60 jugs out. Here in Arkansas we're allowed 20 jugs apiece, but unless the water is pretty slow, we won't put out 60. As far as how many can be handled, back in the 80s, when I was doing some commercial fishing, I'd often put out 100 jugs by myself. But when you've got a bunch of jugs out, you have to be hustling every minute; no time to kick back.

11. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I can't handle more than one and sometimes it's so strong I get drunk before I can finish it.

12. slippedcork

slippedcork New Member

State:
    Marion Co Kentucky
    They have changed the law a couple yrs ago to 50 jugs per boat in KY. It used to be 50 per person and I have been a few times with 3 people in the boat and 150 jugs out. It used to be alot of work and pretty ugly looking for the other fishermen seeing all those jugs. We did catch alot of fish and had a good time but I wouldnt set the legal 50 now, im older now and only keep a few for eating but still looking for that 100lber!:wink:

13. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey Fishman,
    Now that sounds like something someone from Bumpus Mills would say! :smile2:

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jim, with a handle like Wildturkey you would fit right in around here. I like the slow pase of jug fishing. But it is fun when you see 2 or 3 jugs poping up and down at the same time.

15. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    here in Misssouri you are allowed 33 hooks per person however you have them in the water, 30 jugs I have found are all that I can handle at one time regardless how much help I have with me, you have to keep up with rebaiting chasing fish etc., 30 is all I WANT, BUT IT SURE IS A GREAT TIME:tounge_out:

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    My homemade flagging jugs show me when I've had a good hit, even if I didn't hang the fish, so all I have to do is watch for flagged jugs so far as rebaiting and removing fish goes. Of course, I also have to watch for jugs that have hung up or gotten into slack water and fallen behind the main bunch. Pick those up, run up to the front of the pack, and drop them again.

17. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    me too, one jug and I end up sleepin in the boat.....:tounge_out:

18. Whistling Dixie

Whistling Dixie New Member

State:
    Texas
    Texas has a 25 jug limit per person, we have 23 as of right now and I am building another 27 to make it an even 50. I always have my sons with me so we could theoretically fish 100 but I would have to be out of my mind to try and fish that many. We fish some lazy water that doesn't carry the jugs too fast so it's relatively easy to set larger numbers. On swift water 25 or so is about all I want to chase.

19. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    !0 or 11 is about all I want to fool with when I am by myself any thing over then I have to start working:006:

20. EastTNFisherman

EastTNFisherman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The way I do it is I have 20 jugs of my own. But my buddies that go with me each have 20. So when 2 of us go that gives us 40 jugs and that'll keep ya plenty busy when they are bittin'. But solo like i said i only take 20....Ya'll have a good one......