How Many Hooks Does Your State Allow?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Tulcat, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I live in Oklahoma, which is fairly generous in its fishing regs compared to some of the surrounding states.

Here is what is legal from the way I read the regs:

Hooks - Type
    14 - 7 Rod and reel outifts per person with up to 2 hooks each
    100 - Trotlines/throwlines, no more than 3 lines with 100 hooks total per person
    100 - Juglines; 5 hooks per line and up to 20 jugs per person
    40 - Limbline; 2 hooks and 20 lines per person
    20 - Yo Yo's

Grand Total - 274 hooks per person.

What does your state allow?

2. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Missouri, except for the Missouri River is 33 hooks, all told.

3. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    25 hooks on a trotline in Kansas

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    2 poles.....3 hooks each.......Ohio

5. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Tulcat, I wasn't lyin to ya, but I am not sure I was right.
    In Missouri, it's 3 unlabeled poles. I guess all ya want up to 33 poles if 30 of them are labeled. Trotlines are 33 hooks no matter how long or how many owners. 33 hooks per permit holder. But either the Missouri os Mississippi gets 50 hooks on a line I believe.

6. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    2 poles - 2 hooks each.
    You can have one "trotline" with 15 hooks or 5 "trotlines" with three hooks each.
    Thats Iowa's regs.

7. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    If I remember right, In Texas it's 25 on trotline and I think 5 on jugs. I dont do either anymore so I'm not real worried about that.
    I only use 2 maybe 3 poles at the most with one hook on each so no worry for me on that part. LOL. Sometimes I will use 2 hooks on each pole when crappie fishing. I think its 2 hooks on each pole up to 25 total, poles hooks combine

I haven't got to fish in a long time so Maybe I need to re read the rule book to be sure things hasn't changed in my area before going again. I got Bad memory . LOL.
    This was a good reminder thread for me to read the book again. Thanks

8. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    And here I just thought you were trying to get the point across Baitfish. LOL

9. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    DANO IS BACK!!!!

Yep, seen it with my own two eyes. Heck, I see his picture right up there!!!!

This post is a good reminder for EVERYONE to recheck your states rules.

10. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i dont know of any limits on # of poles here in tx. im pretty sure that on any pole or throwline theres a max of 5 hooks per line. trotlines is 50 hooks max i think.

11. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I dont think there is a limit on anything as far as catfishing here in N.C. There needs to be but there isn't.

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Oh my God, Tulcat (Jim)... quiten down - those clowns in the city are still in session. Lord knows how they would rape us if they saw this post. lol

13. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    also in tx, In fresh water only, it is unlawful to fish with more than 100 hooks on all devices combined.

14. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    In TX you can not use any more than 100 hooks combined on all devices. On jug lines you can only have 5 hooks and trotlines are allowed no more than 50. From what I can find out in the REG book there is not a limit to the number of hooks for R&R as long as you are not over the 100 hooks on all devices. I am going to email the Parks office and see if I can get a better answer on the number of hooks on R&R.

15. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Probably worst case would be first they would be glad we had a higher number than TX (sports rivalry) then they would figure out they were undercharging us and jack up the fees!

Kansas gets $5 for a 3rd pole and we allow 7? Something is wrong there!

We could fight back by asking them to set the same limit on the number of golf clubs and then we would all be fishing with a dozen poles :p

16. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

LOL

I like that idea, better yet, make golf cart paths along all public lakes/creeks/rivers. Then provide golf carts to rent to access any fishing spot ya want.

17. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    On the boundry rivers (Missouri, Mississippi, Big Sioux) you can get a boundary water sport trotline license (only $11) and set up to 4 trotlines with a total of 200 hooks for all four. If I ever get a boat I'm gonna get one. Also in Iowa if you use jugs they count towards your hook/line count.

18. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    No limit in Louisiana

19. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Ding Ding we have a winner!

I knew LA was liberal, but I did not know you had no limits on hooks.

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    As a former resident of Louisiana for several years, I must say the no limit on hooks is probably because most of their cajun legislatures can't count and would not want to get caught violating a game law. Be bad for re-election. Think the limit on cats was monstorous also. lol