How many have catalpa trees

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catdaddy007, Jan 13, 2007.

1. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I try to raise my own bait.I have around 30 trees.They produce enough bait for all my fishing plus I can freeze some for spring.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    them 'talpa worms really work in AR, and OK. my next door neighbor has a nice one but it didnt have any worms on it this summer i hope it does next year i'd like to see if they work as well in New Mexico too

3. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I had one in my back yard until a wind storm, last summer, took it down.:angry:

4. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I keep my trees trimmed so it's easier to get the worms.Every 3 or 4 years I'll cut some big limbs off and stick them in the ground.Then in spring they sprout leaves and I get another tree.If your tree stops having worms,believe it or not wasps get the smaller worms and birds take care of the rest.I have to get a few worms from someone else every now and then to keep mine going.I try to have early worms in spring,then some in mid summer,and one more batch in fall.I have had them so late that I thought the frost would get them before me.

5. suggy183

suggy183 New Member

State:
    NE
    Does anyone know how far north catalpa trees grow

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We have no such tree's in Missouri. I'd like to try some of those worms to see if they work here.I have no idea how I'd even go about obtaining any.:confused2:

7. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I have two but they don't have worms every year. Down here we pronounce it as "Catawba". The worms make great bait and when I don't have worms I have several neighbors that have trees and usually one of them will have worms on their trees.

8. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Does anyone know where you can get these trees from?? I have seen a few wild ones but never anyplace that I can easily transport them from. Catalpa worm flavored baits are what I use for catfisihing and I'd like to get my hands on the real deal. Trust me though go out and try Strike King's Dyna-bite links in catalpa worm flavor and those cats will be jumpin in the boat tryin to get to it.

9. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Pat we do have the trees in Missouri ya just gotta ask around where they are at. Good trees are like favorite mushroom spots .Ya hate to let everyone know your best spots. Talk to a Conservation Officer and he can tell ya where some are at in your area.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont have catalpa trees, but I do have earthworms around my yard.

11. peck

peck New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We have some catalpa trees in So. Illinois. Land owners will not always let you share the worms.The fish really like them .:big_smile:

12. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    We have several trees on the property here in SE Iowa.
    Grandma had a couple in her yard in NE Iowa.
    Don't know how far north they grow.
    Ya know I've never seen a worm on our trees.

13. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    my mother in law has a big catalpa in her front yard. where do you find them on the tree?

14. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    You will find them on the under side of the leaves.When you see them keep an eye them because they grow pretty fast.I've had trees eat slap up with them and 4 days later they're gone.

15. Chris54WVa

Chris54WVa New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have used these worms for years now.The tree's are all over the place here in WV.Some years they don't come out on every tree.I have a method that when I use them,I take a 16 penny nail and turn them inside out,and put about 4 to 6 on a 1/0 hook.This works great for calm waters.When they leave the tree,I get as many as possible,and freeze them in water and put about a teaspoon of salt in side the bag.They will turn black in color ,but they work fine for me.I think that there is a town in NC that has the name,Catalpa NC.

16. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I have a catalpa and it grows like a weed but it has had worms only one season. Guess I need to bring a batch in to get it reseeded.

17. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    We have Catalpa tree in Michigan, but I have never seen or used the worms for bait. You can bet this year, I'm going to be looking for them. Anything is worth a try is my motto.
    When do the worms first appear? What do they look like? I am assuming this is a channel cat bait.
    Sparky

18. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    This is an excerpt from an article on Catalpa worms which can be found here.

“The worm can be preserved alive by placing it in cornmeal or sawdust and packing it in a glass jar and frozen indefinitely. When thawed, they become as lively as the day they were froze. This is because their metabolism slows down while eating and, therefore, freezes in its natural state.”

Are these guys on drugs or what? Anybody ever heard of (or done) such a thing?

I’ve frozen a ka-zillion of them in water, but, this? Bring them back, ALIVE?

I have three trees on my place, one that I transplanted (it was about a 5’ tree) from my brother’s place in 1990, the other two are volunteers from that one. I got worms from all three trees last year, the big one had two crops of worms, mid-summer & fall. Mine are the Southern Catalpa (they make the long brown pods which give them the name ‘Indian Cigar Tree’). In the right spot, these trees grow fast. I’m gonna guess I had my first batch of worms in 95 or 96. See the attached photos (not the best photography) I took 3-4 yrs ago, one worm which is loaded with the wasp larvae that gets on a lot of them.

I never froze any whole worms last year, I pureed them in a blender and froze them in my dough bait mixture because of the outstanding results I had from using them this way. Catalpa worm scent is powerful stuff. IMO, ‘a scent bag with a really tough skin’ describes them very well. If you’re fishing them in still water, go ahead and turn them inside out if you want, but if you’re in current you’d be better off to either cut them in half or just simply thread them on the hook.

This site also has some good info on them:
    http://www.catalpaworms.com/

19. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Larry
    Ive never frozen them but we do keep them in the fridge for months at a time and they do liven back up as soon as they warm back up. They are excellant bait for redbreast and bluegills also as well as catfish.

20. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Yea, I bet I've caught as many as a dozen bluegills off of one worm before. They are tough. The bite will tend to pull the skins from the hook each time you catch a fish, it'll even get to the point you can't even tell that it was a catalpa worm and be tempted to put a fresh worm on, but don't, as long as there is a shred of skin left put it back on the hook and keep using it.

On a hot July 4th about 5-6 yrs ago, my wife and I literally filled a collapsible wire fish basket till we couldn't hardly open the lid with bluegill using fly rods w/mini-jigs tipped with bits of catalpa worm. Killer bluegill bait for sure.