how many flaties do you catch average a year

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by uttatoo, Feb 18, 2008.

1. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    me myself catch alot of channels but as far as flaties 2 yrs ago caught only about 15 but this year i caught 30 biggest one on limb line was 48lbs and the biggest on rod was 36or 38lbs wiehed twice and got two different numbers so how many does the average man get
    most of my friends in my area only catch 2 or 3 only know of two or three guys in my area that are fanatics like me and catch about the same as me and of course you have the guys that say they target flaties and set lines but come up short all year long but how wierd is that your input would be nice

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    When I lived in WV on the upper Ohio River, averaged about 30 flatheads a year. Since moving to Henderson,Ky. in 2007, only averaged about 0, LOL. But I did catch a few blues in 2007.

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    well nothing to be ashamed of blues r fun to catch

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Last year I had over 50 fish with about half of them being flathead.I did really well in Oct and Nov on my rivers here.Nothing too big last year, a couple 20 lbs, but all caught on rod n reel.

5. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    arkman u should come west and fish with me one trip to veterans park me and my son had fun caught and released 46 channels and my wife caught a flatie

6. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

if you count the small ones too,i catchthem up around the 100 mark every season. some as big 60 plus pounds. just lots of them around. i start fishing when the water gets right and fish twice a week till it gets cold.i will get about dozens or more that are 30-to 60 pounds every year year after year.last year i had a few nights where me and my fishing buddy got 2 dozen flatheads in one night

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    the most in one night for me was 8 this year but my friend pat caught 15 in one night none over 15lbs but i caught a 30lb that same night only one though

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

catching lots of flatheads is easy once you really start thinking about everything you are doing.bait, location, and so on.its catching lots of the big boys(60 and up)that will drive ya crazy

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    well jack love from mega cat crew always tells me if u catch a big one the little ones arnt around so if u catch a bunch of little ones then the big ones arnt around

10. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

well thats sorta true.but far to often i will get tons of small flatheads mixed right in with the big ones.lots of 20 pounders sitting in the middle of 50's.

11. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

whats a mega cat crew?

12. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    well yup but i was talking about the eating size like 5 to 10 lbs.but yup ur right central ks has few flatie waters but i make do with what god gave me as far as the big rivers i fish the big blue with jack love and that is flatie paradice

13. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    mega cat crew is what jack love calls his web site and his friends that fish with him if u like flatie fishing go to his web site megacatcrew.com and look at some nice pictures of some nice flaties

14. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

whos jack love?? never heard of him.the kansas river is my home waters.trucks loads of good fish all ya got to do is look for them.i have fished the blue rivers. but still perfer the kaw since its cloes and i have been on it for ever and ever

15. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    jack love is a guid who has been in tons of magazines and is part of the catfish gold magazine and inventor of mini net light and a sponsor to this great BOC
    and one of the past record holders of kansas for flaties and it was only taken away by a world record fish wich we have to beat soon ha ha with any luck we will

16. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    get last months issue of catfish gold he had a full page article on him
    and in june they are going to print a article on the crew from a trip we are making in may

17. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

must be no where near me.catching lots of flatheads is pretty easy stuff.its all just location for the most part.anyone could do it should they truly desire to do it.i rod and reel all my cats.setting lines to me really isnt all that fun

18. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    yup i like to catch on rod also but when we make money off the web site and magazines its cool to catch by limb lining

19. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

how do you make money off it?heck i would start doing it then.

20. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    magazines pay us for the knowledge and trips we take them on and by guiding we r the only ones that have permission to fish the big blue that im aware of and the products we sell on our site it dosnt make us rich but it pays for the trips we make and more