How Many Fishing Rods Can You Use In VA?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Captain Cat, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    I have looked on the VA. Dept of Fish and Game but did not see how many poles are allowed per person in VA. here in NY we are allowed 2 per. person. Is it the same? Only a few days left. Will be fishing this weekend.
    Me and my son along with one of his school friends will be on the Chick. soon. Hope they are biting.
    Dean

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    if u can,t find it on their website does it give u a contact number call them they shoud be able to answer your questions

3. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Its unlimited, but be seasonable about it. Normally were fishing with as little at 2-4rods and sometimes 8-12rods. But 4-8 is the average. Just all depends on the situation. At times, theres nothing more fun to have 4-6rods get loaded up at one time.

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I fish 6-8 rods when I'm after the big blues on the James. The number of rods allowed legally is as many as you want. Have fun.

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    6 rods here. Somewhat limited by the tidal current to fishing out the back of the boat and a couple to the side, unless you're lobbing massive weights with the side poles to get them to stick. I've seen lake guys with rods all the way around their boat. God forbid a monster takes a run, that will be fun to untangle...but I guess that's a good problem to have.

6. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Here on the lake thats how we fish. Poles around the boat 360degs. Usually when its just me, i'm fishing 6-10. But When i have people onboard, i'll generally set out 12rods, that way i can cover 6 angles off each side of the boat. And yes it does get interesting when a big flat figures it'd be better to go through a few more rods. The worst and best time i had catfishing. Was when i was by myself. and had four fish one at one time. I was fishing 12 rods then, and they had all 12lines plus both anchors ropes tangled before i could figure it out. somehow i managed. Nothing huge on the fish, but they ended up going a 13lb striper, 14lb channel cat, 18lb flathead and 27lb flathead. I released the striper immedently, but stuck the cats in my bait tank and got a pic of all 3 together before i released them.

Now striper fishing is way different when you have mutilple fish on and triing to keep the trolling motor straight at the same time......!

7. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I fish from piers and the bank. When I go to the pier I SHOULD start taking about a dozen dummy rods with just a sinker on them and have them just everywhere I can put one. That may help ....:wink:

Really I just use 3-4 and if it gets crowded I drop down to just one, to many people will cast over my lines, ect...

8. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    I always have 12 to 14 in the boat and usually have 12 out unless the bite is just too much to handle. It is always interesting when you get a big'un on and have to weave in and out of the other rods then you factor in the front and rear anchor. That to me is a mess but is a good mess and eventually will happen to everyone catfishing.

9. Puddin_114

Puddin_114 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    No rod limit, only limit is how many you can handle, so sling'em all out there and keep the lines tight!!:wink:

10. bengals97

bengals97 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the information everyone. I did call the DNR to double check and they stated there is no limit but just be respectful if you are fishing a shoreline of others.

11. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I agree, if I'm by myself I only do 6-8 on my boat but with 2 friends I do all 14, thinking of adding 2 more lol

12. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    I use a max of 6 in my boat unless I'm flathead huntin the river, then at times just 2. More rods doesen't necessarily mean more fish.