How many fish arkansas river

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by uttatoo, Jun 2, 2008.

1. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    how many brothers and sisters fish the arkansas river and how many target flatheads what baits do you use and methods
    i like
    1 carp2 greenies3 bullheads
    i fish with a bottom carolina on one pole and the same rig with a bobber above the hook and the third with a bobber with a brain
    i just curious what other people like using

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    You know I fish the Arkansas.:big_smile: I use a couple of rigs and bait. Its either green sunfish or shad most of the time. When I can get small enough carp and bullheads I use those too. I use a slip-flot in some situations. I also wade fish it, taking advantage of its shallow waters. That way I can cover alot of ground quickly.

3. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    you know i fish it too gus. we going out this friday to dartmouth? anyway i basically use the same setup you do except you fishing gear is more suit for cats than mine is lol

4. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Not many of us on the Ark. Maybe we should start a club.:wink::smile2: I love that river and will probably fish its length until the day I die. My Dad is in it and one day I will be too.

5. leadsinker

leadsinker Member

State:
    Wichita, K
    Haven't fished the Arkansas since I was a kid. I remember alot of channel coming out of it tho. Would love to learn to fish it again, and learn how to catch those flatties. I make a trip with a buddy to the Chickaskia down by Corbin a couple times a year, but haven't caught anything to brag about. My avatar shows that. If someone is willing to teach an old dog a new trick, PM me.

6. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    When I get a chance to fish, I've been out on the Arkansas lately. With gas the way it is I try to stick close to home. With a bit of Kyle's help, I've been targeting flatheads (without much success!). I use a carolina rig with circle hooks most of the time. For bait, I usually use bluegill or crappie since they're the easiest for me to get. Most of the time I have two rigs with live bait and one with fresh cut bait.

Between work and family, I've had very little time to fish lately. The next few weeks aren't looking much better either. I guess I'll get out when I can.

7. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS

8. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i love my little river just wish they would build me a access point somewhere out side of town

9. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Dude, if it weren't for your help, I probably wouldn't have even caught the one I did catch. What would help my catch ratio would be getting out every evening and fishing. If it's not one thing keeping me from fishing, it's another. If I can get out with my boys on Saturday to catch some bait, I'm hoping to get out a bit on Sunday. It sounds like the bite has picked up and I really want to get out and give it a shot again.

10. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I hear ya. I dont have any kids yet so I have way more free time. I have also been fishin that river for almost 20 years. Just remember, "a bad days fishin beats a good day of work everytime."

11. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    hoping to go out tonight maybe if i dont get busy but also if the wheather dont get bad

12. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Good luck Gus! I think I might go to, although I need to get more bait. I am down to 6. I think I will try to squeeze both in. Did you get rain there last night?

13. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    head over my way gus lol i got about 30 of them sand toads and they are just dying to be used as bait.

14. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    how about half way

15. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    hey gus i have 40+ toads...wanna head out to dartmouth tonight? i get off around 5 30 and ill check this again. if you want to ill give ya a call

16. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    supposed to get bad out today just have to c how the day goes give me a call

17. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    sounds like you guys are some ark fisherman well add me to your list thanks to the help i have from kyle:smile2: i can take his advise with me to the ark as i start a new journey in chasin them whiskers i live in hutch 5 minutes from the ark so u bet ya i will be spendin alot of time researchin and learing the waters i never really fished the ark much growing up so i got alot of time to make up for....:smile2: thanks again kyle...:big_smile:

18. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    man id like to get a spot on the ark by hutch do you have anywhere to put a small boat on the water

19. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    u could put a small boat in just about anywhere honestly.. it runs shallow most of the time i used to walk it all the time when i was younger but started fishing the ninnescah as i got older but now goin back to the ark to try my luck..hope i find a good spot lol:smile2:

20. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i can run in 1 ft of water so maybe you can holor when you are not busy and go your way and maybe kyle can meet the i believ it would kinda in the middle for both of us