How many days do you get to fish for flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Apache Flats, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I am just curious how lucky some of you are in how many days a year you get to fish for Flatheads?? I average 12 days a year and the nearest lake that have Flatheads that I go to is 3 hours away.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Well this year only 4 fishing days!!!

Typically, I get to fish a couple of times a week. I am in the army and it seems that most places are colocated with some good fishing holes so I don't really have to drive very far.

3. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Usually i get out at least once every weekend from april until October. Last year i was unemployed for much of the summer and i was fishing 3 or 5 times aweek. This year was totally different, i was working out of state from Feb 1 until mid August, coming home evry 2 or 3 weeks and once here didn't feel much like fishing. :sad2:

4. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I get 15 days a year vacation, but i don't get to use them all for fishing. I try to get out on the weekends and fish. It is not as same as fishing during the week though. I have had better luck fishing on week days.

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I am an elementary school teacher so I have the pleasure of having late June to early September off.

The past 4 years, I have dedicated every summer fishing the Schuylkill in search of "The One".

So you answer your question, I get to flathead fish about 100 nights per year.

6. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    I was on the water looking for flatheads 4 days this year.Two 2 day trips. After I caught that big one the fire kinda died out.Sort of like mission accoplished.Pryor years would have seen me looking for flatheads 10-20 days per summer easy.This year I was REALLLY lucky.It was the first trip of the year on the first night.It took me about 5-6 years fishing for that one big bite.And when I least expected it,it happend.
    Fishing for any trophy fish is an inigma,an addiction of sorts.

7. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I get 4-6 days a month. I have off from Dec.-Mar. but it is too cold for Flats. here then. I am going to try a few times this winter though.

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I guess I get to go flathead fishing about 10 or so times a year from April through October or November. It's a pretty big commitment of time (getting there in time to catch bait and then fish most of the night, plus over an hour's drive each way), so I have to sort of pace myself.

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    not near as many times as I'd like to. if it was up to me I would be out there every night. lol

10. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I dont know how many times a year usually a lot but not this year. Usually at least a 100 trips since I live on the Ohio River it makes it easy.

11. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Maybe you should ask how many hours?:wink: Some may just have a few trips, but they get alot of hours in that trip.
    Where I live I have 2 rivers within 10 minutes of my front door. The fishin is decent to me. I fish them as much as I can. Sometimes 5+ days a week during peak season. I may only fish for two hours sometimes. I try to fish peak times. Maybe an hour and a half at sunrise and a hour and a half at the sunset.It beats watchin TV.:smile2: It has paid off. Its much more peaceful those times, especially during the week. Plus the fish just dont bite on the weekends. If something is close and you have time, go!
    I dont have any kids yet and my wife loves to fish so I am lucky. I know that is a huge factor also.
    So I go fishin alot but not for very long per trip. On the weekends, I try to go further and go to new places. Most often I dont get to.:sad2: Stupid gas prices.:smile2:
    I sure am gonna miss it when I cant go as much. I will enjoy it while it lasts.LOL!

12. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    my wife says i fish too much, but just fishing for flats , i would have to guess at an average of 2 dozen a year

13. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I've averaged about 1 night a week from April to now this year.

14. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Man that allot of Skunkings LOL :smile2:

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish about 1 day a week, I am married and have a small child so I feel guilty if I spend more time away...But in a couple years when the baby is bigger, I can take him along and have roger watch him!

16. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    WOW!!! I feel really bad for some of you.. I fish every sunday, monday, tues, and wed, from spring to the end of fall but this year I will be targeting a winter flattie... only time I dont fish sundays and monday are football season and depending on the games....

17. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Don't figure it would much different than now. How many trips have we made and i end up watching you???:smile2:

18. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    give it to him HR... LOL.. I hope I get to work a few days down there next year... Jack will get the call, and im sure you as well... I look forward to seeing him in action!!!:big_smile::smile2: rollo

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to fish almost every night, then I started dating.. went down to 3 or 4 a week... then I got married, went straight to zero! LMAO!:smile2: Then the honey moonness ended for me if you know what I mean:roll_eyes:.. Then it went back up to atleast a night a week. Then she said she wanted to become a family, BACK TO ZERO, THIS TIME WITH AMBITION!!!!:smile2::tounge_out: Then the lil one...... Now, I have no choice..... I have to be a responsible father, and take care of more than I ever dreamed...... BTW, she is pregnant again..... so theres your answer! :confused2::big_smile: rollo