How many checks their scales to see if they're right?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ShilohRed, Feb 25, 2009.

1. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I see it all the time. Someone talks about a fish that weighs say 25 lbs. But it does not look that big. But they have weighed it with there scales. That has never been checked to see if they are even close.
    I have a set of certified scales. And have checked my Boat scales. There within 1/10 of a oz at 10 lbs.
    Had a guy last year he was talking about this 25 lbs blue. AS soon as he pulled it out. I could tell it was not anywhere near 25 lbs. Lucky to hit 20 lbs.
    Asked him if he had checked his scales. His answer No got them and pitched them in the boat. Asked him if he would care to check his fish on my scales. Sure lets give it a try. But he did not think his was off.
    The fish weighed in at a total of 18 lbs 6 oz on mine. He told me well your scales are way off. I had a 10 lb pea weight in the boat with me. We tried it on my scales 10 lbs his over 16 lbs. A few weeks later I seen him in town, He had checked his out on certified scales also. And found out his was off by a little over 6 lbs.
    Just something to think about. We buy a set and never give them a second thought if there right or not.
    Pete

2. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I have a j-scale it is accurate to .02 of 1 lb. I checked it with or certifed weight at work and found it to be just a little off not much it is reading a little under than the weight, we have two weights a 5lb and 10lb the scale read .01 under the 5lb and .015 for the 10lb weight. my scale go up to 150 lbs. i wonder how much off it will be at 100 lbs lol. I also have a berkely scale and it is off almost a 1.5 lbs with a 10 weight it reads under as well.

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Often wondered about that,, good point..
    I'm sure mine are none too accurate,, I can weigh the same fish several times and come up with a different weight everytime!!!

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Pete, I have read on the BOC for years about getting a set of scales certified.

Have you done this through the state?

And does it have to be a mechanical scale or can it be a digital scale with a tare function?

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Paul the certified ones are work scales that Marilyn has for work. I just used them to check mine out.
    But I will get her to find out, As they have to get theres certified every year. And they put the sticker on them showing there legal.
    I will see if she can find out what we would have to do.
    She has 5 sets of Digital and 4 sets of triple beams all certified. So they may be able to do about any of them. I know its high to get it though.
    Pete

6. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have never even thought of this.... Very good point

7. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I have ran across this especially with the little mechanical scales from walmart that someone has that they are weighing a fish with. A 25# fish on their scales will be around a 20# or so on mine and the bigger the fish is the more the scales are off.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Great post,Pete. I am in the group,Never give it a thought. I guess we all figure they are right . I have some old cast window weights I think I'll just have to check mine against them. Thanks for the headsup.:cool2:

9. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    we all have most likely did the scale thing, you know buy one not like it an go out and get another, i have several over the years. Then i came to the BOC and i read some post about the coffee scale. That got me wondering about the quality of the scale i have, after doing some test on what i had i came to the conclusion i need a scale that is more accurate, after doing some research i came across a scale that fits my need, i got it and did a little test on it to find out how well it works. After all the cost of what i have purchased i came to the conclusion i should have done a little research and spent a little more money in the first place. Why do i post this, just to let tell you if your looking for a scale don't let the price drive you, get the best quality you can afford,

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Jeff, That's true with most things, I'd say....:wink:

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I check my Berkley digital against a ten pound bar bell weight. I certified the bar bell disk by hefting it, Yep' that feels just about like ten pounds and it is even stamped on the side. So, I am very confident in my scales. Now all this means next to nothing except when I enter a picture for a Fish Off. It realy could be off a half ounce or so, but then I always use the pic with the biggest bounce any way! lol :crazy::eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2:

12. flysure1

flysure1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just bought a small cheap chinese digital scale this year---they check out up to a couple of pounds, I haven't hooked anything heavy on them---- I think this is kind of like an air pressure gauge, use 6 different gauges and chances are you will get 6 different readings.

13. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Im always wondering myself but for a different reason I always think the fish is much bigger till I put him on a scale LOL They may be off or they may be right not sure.

14. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    have never had mine certified or anything. I've compared mine to others and also tourney scales. For the most part i'm within a couple ounces if not right on. Generally I'll zero my Berkley tec 2 different ways usually. Either using my landing net to get the tare weight or without the net. I almost always weigh my fish with the net, Don't really like to stick the hook up through the gill plate or in the mouth when I cpr.

This also brings up a question I have. Are digital scales more accurate then spring scales?

15. 10POUNDER

10POUNDER New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Howdy all ? I have recently caught what I thought was the biggest fish of my life. I dont have a picture of this fish ! But It was 29 inch's long and I needed both hands to get around his back to hold him! Needless to say I used some old kinda rusted work scales . I dont have the scales anymore to test to see if the rust was making the fish weigh more or less what do yall think ? If I had to bet the fish weighed more then what the scale said :cool2::smile2:

16. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I have several calibration weights I picked up from a commercial bakery that went out of business. I checked my Coffey scale on a 25 lb calibration weight and I think it was 1 ounce off. I'll go check it again to get my story straight.

Good Post!

17. FISHSKINNER

FISHSKINNER Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Mike
    My fish are always bigger when I just "Eye-ball" them.

18. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I think most peoples scales are close like that. But some will be off 3 to 5 lbs on bigger fish.
    There was 2 blues caught last year here I weighed them on my Coffey scales they were 62 and 64 lbs. They weighed them on theres and the same fish were 102 and 104. LOL That was after they were home. So it can weight what ever they say then.:eek:oooh:
    I have been looking for a set of cal weights. To keep our shipping scales where I know there right.
    Pete

19. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I hadn't thought about it until now. When I weigh my fish I always tie a 5lb weight on their tail. Thats how I get 10" channels to weigh 5lb 4 ozs.:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

I do need to get a good set of scales.

20. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I never calibrate them. Thats an 80 pounder. I swear!