"How many baits"

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by BIG GEORGE, May 28, 2006.

1. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Where I fish dictates that I target channels and white cats. When ever I hit the water I always take several different baits. Most of the time as many as 5 different offerings. I have found over the years that this is the route to go. Some of my choices are mackeral, eels,blue gills,minnows,peanut bunker,herring,liver,and shad. We will bait up the lines and see what gets the most attention and then narrow it down from there. I have found this to be a very productive method to utilize for these cats. I would like to do more fishin with nite crawlers and dead blood worms, but the perch are relentless. LOL! Just curious as to how some of the rest of yas put together your plan of attack.

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    When I go to the lake I do the samething, I'll take liver, shrimp, nightcrawlers, and cutbait. I try them all and see what they want.

3. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I do about the same as RIP, but will add stink bait and hotdogs sometimes too.

BTW, what is peanut bunker?

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    On the Arkansas River, targeting blues, you're pretty safe using fresh shad or skipjack. I used to go out almost every day with no bait but fresh shad. Now, I generally take along some cured liver, and maybe a couple of other baits such as salt pork and chitlings just in case. I probably won't use them one time out of twenty, though.

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    George, We went fishing today and were not catching cats on shad or perch.
    Then I caught an eel and remembered your posts about how good they are.
    So I chopped it up, baited the hooks and we started hauling them in one after the other! Thank you! Thank you! You know your stuff! Here is a pic from today!

Attached Files:

6. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Looks like a new avatar to me.

7. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    On the Ohio up here if you dont have fresh shad or jacks you might as well stay home!

8. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I'm holding out for a "plastic" one! LMAO:lol:

9. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    So what bait did you use for that plastic singing bass?

10. timbo

timbo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hi George here in the Neuse river in N.C i use perch , brim,cut shad ,,night crawlers ,,and the fish i scale puts off more smell,, naver tryed eel but i will try that thanks Timbo:big_smile:

11. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    I do the same take 3 or 4 different baits

12. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Here is a picture that Arlington sent me of his many different baits and his favorite rod/reel combo.

Attached Files:

13. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I find it scarey that ya have that Tom! LOL!

14. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    These are the baits I personally use and catch fish atleast occasionally on

liver, shrimp, worms, crickets/grasshoppers, hotdogs, shad, minnows, tortilla, perch,marshmellows, doughbaits, some lures

Baits other people have said work: Certain brands of soap,candy(ive heard gummy bears, gum).

Recently we have only been using shad though, it produces fish almost all the time.

15. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I usually take skipjack for cut bait, live bait, be it creek chubs, shad, goldfish, etc., and livers, beef or chicken. I gave up on nightcrawler, only because of soft-shelled turtles are thieves and a nuisance.

16. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    These are the main baits I use: bluegills,wild shiners, bullheads, skipjack and shad. So when I head out to the lake I carry some worms, a handfull of jigs, and a shad dipnet. I like to catch all my bait fresh when I get there. I do however take some froze skipjack with me just in case.

17. bottom_rig

bottom_rig New Member

State:
    baltimore, md
    the baits weve been using for blues and channels.
    nightcrawler, cut perch, cut sunny, shrimp and chicken liver. water temp is rising so im bringin out the stink bait tonight. long as this damn rain holds off.

18. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Anymore I have at least worms, shad, and shrimp. I consider shad sometimes contain a few sunfish or blue gils. What ever comes up in the net.

19. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    the only thing I carry with me is a throw net and some carp/catfish vanilla flavored bait. Sometimes I will target carp while I am out, but for the cats I use whatever comes up in the net, with a preference for shad followed by bluegill <5".

20. trapperboy

trapperboy New Member

State:
    illinois
    i catch the most catfish in lakes and creeks with stinkbait, nitecrawlers, and chicken liver. in rivers and ******** on cut up shad, skipjack, gold fish, shad guts and cheese mixed.

justice