How Low Can Catfish Go?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Catmaster, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    That is something I have always wondered, how deep can a catfish go? I have caught some in as deep as 30-40 feet of water but have never tried deeper than that. So tell me, How low can they go??

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Dont know exactly how deep they can go but the deepest that I have personally caught them in was 90ft of water.

Zakk:)

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well i know of one place here that holds cats in 70 feet i have pulled them out of that spot before

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im sure they can go as low as the thermocline will let them.:confused:

5. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree with Dink, if there's oxygen they can probably be as deep as the want, particularly at any depths we have in freshwater. I wonder if at some depth the pressure might be to great for them.

Anybody know if deep-sea fish have mechanisms for adapting to the amount pressure at 300-500 feet below the surface?

6. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I once read an article about schools of blue cats in over 100ft of water.

7. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    I've caught blues in water that is between 60 and 70 feet deep.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    theres a lake here in sw ohio that get to 115ft deep. a freind and i were out over that area last year in his bass boat cruising around and we seen a couple VERY BIG fish near the 90ft mark. his sonar is so sensitive you could see the thermocline, i beleive it was around 40-50ft. like to know what they were! the lake has no blues but does have some flats in it. could have been a big, BIG carp! even though a lake has stratified i have caught channels and carp on the bottom. i think they make short forays to feed then get back to the oxygen.