how long

Discussion in 'The BOC's Animal House' started by uttatoo, Sep 17, 2008.

1. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    my pup has had the splint for 3 days now is very attentive how long should i leave the splint on for

i am thinking 6 weeks but i asked my dad and he said 8 weeks but the problem he said i will have is i will have hair loss on the leg and a little stink off the leg

what do you recomend ?

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Utte (Gus):

You didn't mention fracture site or leg or actual age in your post. All make a difference in healing rates. If you put a powdered stockinette as a base and padded pressure points under that cast and have confined the dog things should go well for you and it in 6 weeks.

Plaster wearing causes an odor. Much like you wearing the same socks for a week in the swamp. If the odor starts to smell like dead fish be concerned. Pressure point necrosis, ulceration at movement points are very common. The dog suddenly chewing at the cast when it had been comfortable before, becoming lethargic and not moving freely are some things you should watch for. Free roaming a dog with a cast is a call for disaster. Rocks, sand, dirt, grass, all kinds of foreign bodies can get down in there and the dog can't talk. Had a kid put a pencil down a dogs cast once. That didn't feel or look so good.

Good luck.

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    8 weeks old
    the break is above what i call a hock right back leg
    the slint was made from hard plastic and casting material minus the water and ducttape
    no smell just yet no fever i think i can say after 5 days i did it he might be limping for the rest of his life or have a small hop to his walk but i dont think he will die

the reason i knew he had a break was he would not put weight on that leg and after a day i took him to my friends vet clinic and he did a x ray for 30 bucks then he sold me the material to save money and gave me the pen g and he let me do my thing like he said it was not a bad break and he knows i am the do it yourself guy when it comes to animals

i know enough to be dangerous like my dad always told me :wink: