How Long?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by ste6168, Aug 6, 2009.

1. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Until the flatheads migrate into the Chesapeake Bay! :eek:oooh::smile2::wink::big_smile: just kidding.

Just wanted to let all my PA brothers know that the move went well. I am now down here in Annapolis; moved in, settled down, and starting to learn the new area/lifestyle. I went crabbing the other night from a little dock in my community. Got a couple keeper bluecrab and cooked them up for a nice snack. Last night went fishing for the first time and did OK. No Stripers (aka Rockfish here) yet, but we pounded the croaker and spot!

Just wanted to stop back in, let you know how things were going. The ONLY two things I miss about Pittsburgh so far, family and Flatheads! haha. Might make my way up to the Potomac here soon and fish for Blues! Next time I come back to PA (more than likely Thanksgiving) I will see you all on the Allegheny! :wink:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nice red drum there. REPS and thanks for sharing.

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I see you have the croaker and spot fish!:cool2:

Cut them up and catch big sharks with them.

4. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA

I am not too sure that we have any shark in the bay. That is something I have been trying to find out!

5. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Good Luck Mike bring some blues back and put them in the Mon:wink:

6. Bigfish4me

Bigfish4me New Member

State:
    Conshy Pa

The spot are like candy for all kinds of fish.....plenty of brown sharks in the bay and they have a full set of teeth to contend with so dont forget the wire leader.

7. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I used them for cutbait before when I was a kid and channels liked them pretty good in the Elk river

8. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    sending you a PA care package with some good mojo in it for ya Mike. get some hogs whether in the bay or on the James.

9. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    was going to say the same thing tan, you beet me to it. glade to see the move went alright and you are able to use the abu and whuppin stix. and those crab's look damn good bro, wish i was still living by the beach. i'll send you some pics from obx WHEN not IF we land some big toothy bastard's. well tight line's mike and live it up work is just around the corner....justin:cool2:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  10. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    haha, Justin, you said it man! work is RIGHT around the corner. I am living these two weeks up to the fullest. School starts on the 18th so things should start getting busy. Getting used to the territory is definitely different, as I have never lived anywhere that far from the Burgh. I have only been fishing once so far, thats not my style! I will be out tomorrow (hopefully all day) to catch some croakers and spot. The croakers will definetly be on the grill. Those crabs were great, nice little treat!

Justin, I just bought an Abu 6600 C4 today, I am going to match it with either a Tsunami, St. Croix, or Tica Surf rod for getting baits out 100+ yds into the bay. Hope you get good results with the sharks brother, when im back in PA for Thanksgiving well have to get back together! (hopefully the boat will start then, hahah!!!!)

*edit- Justin nice avatar, when did you catch that fish hahah.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  11. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Tan, when does school start for you? This thing we call work is really going to put a damper on our fishing?!?!?!?

On another side note, I may be going out on the bay with a guy from another forum on Tueday. Hopefully, if it happens, we get into some great stripers!

12. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    dude caught the same fish last night at the spot we went to by me 23 lb 35.5 in.thurs night have been good to me lol. like i said before i highly recomond the tsunami,(check out the airwave's they are very light and tough as nails) to me they are better than st croix and a little cheaper. check out harleerods on ebay, thats where i got mine. a c4 and tsunami rod should have no promblems getting 100 yrds out, all up to you with a little practice.
    for sure man next time your up this way hit me up or let me know and i'll do the same. either way if she starts or not we still will hit em hard..lol. and don't worry about the pic's have been talking to a guy on a diff forum, told me a hole 2 miles away from where we are staying. and it hold's big bull's, black tips, and tiger's. said he saw a tiger bigger than his 11ft board more than once well he was surfing, it went between him and his bud twice then made a charge at him...lol. can't wait to hear the 900 start to scream. going to be my new avator..lol:smile2:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  13. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
  14. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
  15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

School here in the urban Philadelphia schools start the day after labor Day. So according to my calculations, I still have one full month left of eating/sleeping/and fishing!:wink:

The stripers will be back down there come fall. If you thought a flathead fights good, just wait until you hook into one of them "Atlantic Linesiders". There are plenty of brown sharks in the bay. They get to be like 4 to 6 feet sometimes. I would really recommend using a spinning reel that can hold at least 400 yards of braid.

Hope you come up to Philly next weekend! The little lady will be in Denver for a business convention and that only means one thing.....anything goes! We can hit the Skuke for some flats and even head down to the Shore. I can put you on some blackfish guarantee.

16. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa

mike, the fall is an excellant time to hit the Lower Potomac. Probably the best time of the year, then any other time for shear big fish. While fishing down there can be good all year around, it's the fall bite (October and on) that will produce the best fishing. Shad will be your bait of choice too, fresher the better. Was just down Friday, 17 cats out of 19 were over 20# with the big one at 47# for the day.

But your in a real good location for any kind of good fishing, not just the cats. I'm jealous.:wink:

PS. don't eat too much seafood. LOL Now I am jealous.!!!!!!

17. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Well, didnt get out today. Ending up doing some food shopping then came back and sat by the pool and drank Gin and Tonics all day (guess I really cannot complain! :wink:) Anyway, I may get out tomorrow to fish the bay. Thanks for the tips Pip, I definitely want to get into some blues before this season is over. Still miss the Allegheny river. Its kinda like cheating on girl, I still don't feel right fishing the Chesapeake! :wink: