How long will the spawn go on ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by slakltrak, Jul 21, 2009.

1. slakltrak

slakltrak New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I pretty sure that the channels are spawning based on the eggs I'm finding as I clean some of the few eater channels we keep. I'm no expert that's for sure, but how long will the spawn go on and will there be a post spawn drop off in fishing?

2. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I don't know but its driving me crazy......I started seeing signs of spawning about a month ago...the last flathead I got had old wounds that had started to heal so hopefully its close to over....

3. sattv

sattv New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I caught some 10# channels last weekend in the mighty mo and the bite was slow but strong:eek:oooh:

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    From what I know, it all depends on the water temp. anywhere from 72-84 water temp. is the ideal temp. for the catfish to spawn. Males can fertilize up to 4 different nests and in some cases as many as 9! Adverse weather conditions can regulate the spawn too. I would bet the spawn season lasts for around 2 weeks around this area, but the actual spawn time is only 12 hours!! Make sense? It should be about over now and the bite should improve pretty darn quick. Most northern Nebraska lakes, the spawn is still probably going now, but most of the southern lakes and rivers, it should about over now!!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  5. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    the places I fish are still S L O W...nothing is bitting at all...they have to be hungry by now...

is this a case of wierd weather affecting the spawn??? or they just full on fingerlings???

everyone that fishes the same spot I do has the same reports...I got leaves falling in the back yard allready!!!! and it hasn't stayed hot or even warm overnite yet...global warming my @ss...

6. sattv

sattv New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Fishing is WAY OFF ?? Only a couple small channels last weekend
    Goldfish stayed in the river all night NO TAKERS???:sad2:

7. Doneinne

Doneinne New Member

State:
    Fremont, Nebras
    Same thing here. No big ones this year. The bite is super slow.

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Our fish have been spawning for ever now. They started in June and just last night I pulled in another spawning channel. With unseasonably cool weather hear the water temp is still around 83 on the main lake. Last nights fish were in the back of a run in 3' of water...I'm sure the water was pretty warm in there.

This is the longest spawning season I have ever seen and I still see it going on for maybe a few more weeks.

Ya'll aint alone...lots of us are having a hard time this year but fall aint to far way ; )

9. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Welcome to the BOC Donnie

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    In this area of Nebraska, we've had some adverse weather conditions. Some days is relatively warm and BAM a cold front comes in a screws everthing up. I think the trick to better Catfishing, is the idea of finding them using your locator. I know the bank fisherman can't do this, but the boaters can benefit from doing this. Most of the cats I'm catching now are in 12-22' of water. That's on the same day. Varying depths. Really strange, like they're strung out everywhere and not contained in one area. I had slow success at Elwood Res, last weekend. Only catching 3 Friday morning and then again only 2 using SHAD as bait at the inlet of Johnson Lake. If it wasn't for trying SHAD, I wouldn't of caught any Cats. Of course, I only had 3 Shad to use, because they didn't stay in the inlet long enough for me to catch more with by dip net. I tried Turkey liver, Shrimp, cut drum and then the Shad. 2 cats in 10min on the Shad. Both were in the 3# class. The Elwood cats were on the bloodbait while drifting.

Spawn still on? thinking it's about done. hoping the cats get together again and put on a good show for we anglers!!

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    it all depends on the water temp

12. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    well I got a fish big enuff to put in the freezer....she had some eggs in her...not full of eggs but had eggs....will they go into another spawn if the "season" lasts long enuff??? the fish didn't seem bigger than normal...and my buddy was asking me if I'm still seeing eggs, so I thought I would check this one...

13. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    strangely enough.. i had a bluegill one with eggs and another squirtin at me tonight :confused2:.. ive had just about enough of this spawn thing for this year.

14. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Id say it could last thru the middle of aug or so.. ive noticed every kinda fish that swims havent spawned really at their general spawning temp. so this yr. i think its just a late year.

15. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    From the sounds of it, I think it may be over. Now let's get out and catch some PB's

16. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    me and a buddy went out last nite...only 1 fish..but the canal is showing signs of life again..the grass frogs are back out..maybe summer is finally here...it was rainy out there but as soon as it stopped the bugs were back out...these are all good signs to me :roll_eyes: