How long will shad keep in the freezer?

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by BenNewt, Sep 3, 2009.

1. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    And still be good for channel cats?

We have long winters in Minnesota here (so says captain obvious). I want to catch a bunch of shad this fall and keep them in the freezer for 5 months or so to use for the spring bite. Will this work, or am I just wasting my wife's freezer space?

2. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    remember some shad is better than no shad. when you put them up add some pickling salt to them. this will help. they may be a little soggy, but you will have some shad if you cannot get any other bait. i used some the other day i had forgotten i had. they were over a year old and they worked on redfish.

3. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I would say they would keep till the better half finds them. I kept mine for over 7 months till "she" made me throw them out.

I freeze mine whole

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    thats what i was going to say lmao

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    in the winter i will catch a 5 gallon bucket full and vacuum seal them. i have never had them past the end of may, but they were good until then. i cold thaw them and keep them cold till they go on the hook, and they do fine. keep water off them before they get used, or they will get mushy as hell.

6. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    From what I've been told vacuum packing is the way to go far as keeping them fresh. Should be able to keep them an awful long time.

7. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    here we net all of ours in the fall and stock up our freezers otherwise you won't have any come spring the next year. so they'll keep for 6-8 months

8. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I use a vacuum packer the most,but if you are short on freezer space and keeping larger shad salt curing them works great to,just gut the shads and then layer then into a five gallon bucket with a good lid,putting salt in the gut cavity and putting a layer of salt 1/2 inch thick between each layer of fish,they will cure on their own this way and need no refridgeration,just set in a corner in a garage or shed,be sure to use plenty of salt,best is to go to a feed store and buy a 50 lb bag,about 5 or 6 bucks cost.

9. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    Dry the shade off with paper towels. Then freeze them in vacuum sealed bags and they will last for a while.

10. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I have had shad for over a year, no salt, just vacumme packed and DEEP frozen. My deep freeze is 10 - 15 below zero, (no good for Ice cream), great for bait and steaks.