How long will catfish fillets stay good in the fridge??

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by BLKCLOUD, Sep 16, 2007.

1. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I have never been able to keep any longer than 2-3 days with out eating them but..were planning a fish fry and I have to save some for the "guests".. how long can I keep them in the fridge with out fear of spoilage?? I have them in water in a gallon ziplock bag. thanks!

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I vacuum seal them and freeze them, will last a long time in the deep freeze and taste fresh when your ready to eat...:big_smile:

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I'm not sure how long they will stay good but here is what I like to do: Rinse the filets good then take a bowl and put 2 ice trays full of ice into it. I keep a gallon of cold water in the fridge at all times so I pour enough water in to almost make the ice float. Next I lightly salt the water/ice and the then add the filets. Next I add more ice and water lightly salting again. I like mine soaked for 24 hrs any longer I start to notice a slime layer. After a day I take them out and rinse them real good again. I myself like to freeze them before I eat them. I like to use a zip-lock bags with water. TRICK: if your a sucker for fish sandwiches like I am you can bread/fry some square pieces and pop them back into the freezer for reheating when the urge hits ya . I works really good and it hasn't killed me yet, lol. Works good for catfish nuggets also. ~enjoy~

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm not sure just how good a job of 'freezing in water' you can do in a ziploc bag. It seems so me that pressure would cause the fillets to press against the bag in spots. Probably wouldn't hurt anything unless you got a little hole in the bag there. Back when milk still came in 1/2 gallon cardboard cartons, I found them ideal for freezing fillets; now, I have to buy freezer containers. I put the fillets into the container and fill with water till the fillets are covered. Freeze. Check to see if any fillets managed to get to the surface of the water. Where they did, add another 1/2" of water to insure that they are well covered. I've eaten them after two years and they tasted just like fresh!

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    It works really well. I roll the bag to get the air out before I zip it up. The bag also absorbs the expansion of the ice. But honestly I only use them because it saves me a lot of room in the freezer. I'm kinda interested in the vac sealing method also. That would save me even more room.....hey it is deer season and I need the room, lol : )

6. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We had a need for ready to use, but with the ability to "hold" the Filets to keep down the loss .
    We used to fry fish sandwiches at High School baseball games as a solution to the Fund Raiser thingy..
    We Got a great deal on I believe 22-25 lbs at a throw from a dealer but was way to many to deal with when ya might or might not be needing them in 25lb batches.
    The vendor suggested we do what the Controlled Portion folks do .
    Rinse in a Heavy Brine for a few Mins. (Cuts what slime might already be there and makes a bad environment for Bacterial bugs) after unthawing later...
    Dry them on paper towels and news paper ..
    dry dry..
    Then, layer them in flat cake pans between waxed paper and freeze with a topper of alum foil oner the pan to protect them. (We were stacking pan in the freezer. )
    With out the water in the meat they "Defrost" darn near good as fresh.
    I would not suggest trying to keep them frozen long using this method, as they will burn for sure but this sure worked well for us in our situation .

Any as for the Fund raiser ... we could make 250.00 a day durning tournrment time.. better than selling candy..

Good luck.