How long until the Ohio River is worth fishing again?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Spencer_Blanton, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    I talked to my mother in Aberdeen last night. She said the river was only up 2 1/2 feet. I expect it to start rising as the front dumped rain on PA. I promised catman I would try ro make a trip down this month, but it'll be a trade for steelhead fishing.

What's the impact of all this rain on the Ohio River and when will it be worth fishing again?

Regards,

Spencer

2. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Lol u dont have to take me fishun go get those steelheads, uhh the river should be ok in about 1 week or so... maybe 2 i caught about 20 dzn nightcrawlers, can member if i told ya or not. still gotta get my fishing lis... b4 any fishing this year. and try to work on some live bait a few days b4 we go....

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
  4. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    Thanks for the resources bait killer. I can't believe the wealth of information out there.

Although I now know the temperatures and river levels, I still don't know if the river can be fished effectively currently. The GMR is blown out and I understand it a little better. I'm blind to the Ohio River though.

Spencer

5. teamclose

teamclose Guest

if i didnt have to work i would be down there everyday this week!! high water is my favorite time to catch big fish. the high water concentrates them in certain areas.

6. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    13 post 12 rep points good goin man nice info

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Spencer

Teamclose called it right, high water is an oppertunity to get fish/Flatheads when the water is high. You just have to find the right places to fish it. My PB Flathead was taken at a spot that was just out of the fast, high water that normally does not produce.

8. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    Here is another person that likes High water;) I would love to see it stay 30 to 40 ft all year!!!!!

9. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Truck, are you out boating on the river when it is up like this?

10. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have been out on & fished the river up to 40 feet at Cinci's gauge & we've caught some big fish. I am most comfortable below 33' myfavorite is probably 30'.

11. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Man I love high water, It makes the fish a little more predictable. Gonna be out Friday prefishing and a tourney on sat. at Leavenworth...