how long to wait

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfish1083, May 21, 2009.

1. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    ok i have heard that if you are in a boat fishing once you get your spread set out give it 20-30 min if you dont have a bite then you may want to move. is this the best way to go about it or wait longer? thanks boc brothers:big_smile:

2. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I give it about 2 hrs. I ant speed fishen. I am fishen for big ones. Sometimes if I think bigg fish are there. I might set like a stone all night.
    If ya in a boat and ya know your water take your time. We ant fishen for green fish lol. But Moven around helps ya find fish its a tough call somtimes.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    flatheads you move in the day, alot, blues not so much, moving is good for holding flatheads, log jams and stuff blues you wait there hunters not ambushers, flatheads move way less and ambush big baits by sucking them in, wile blues cruise and chomp, does this help

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have heard 20-30 minutes also...but I have found that flatheads will eat when they want to...I try to move around between the hours of 10:30 to 2:30am...in between the prime hours..but from 6:00pm to 10:00pm Then again from 3:00am to 7:00 am. I try to stay on holes that I know hold fish. I will stay on those holes for maybe an hour and a half with no bites. Too much moving around eats up prime fishing time (in my opinion).

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Whether I sit or move,,, mainly depends on how many beers I've had,,,,:eek:oooh::big_smile:
    Bank Fishing,,, But, I Don't drink in a Boat,,:big_smile:

6. BARathke

BARathke New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I'm curious about this too. I fished a 40ft hole on the Mississippi in WI with no bites and moved after an hour or so. Next spot (10-20ft) - we caught one small one (first cast) and left after 30 minutes since we didn't catch anything else. Next spot(10ft) -Nothing, went home after 30 minutes.

Do I need to wait it out?

Note - I was using chicken liver... maybe that's the problem?

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I don,t think you can really have a set amount of time carved in stone.IMO-One major thing is how well I know the water I,m fishing.If I,m in a spot that I know holds big cats from past experience,I,ll stay a lot longer than 30 minutes.If I were tournament fishing where I had to come up with cats,I might stay less.How long I,d fish a spot would depend more on other variables like time of year,night or day,where i think the bait will be moving,river or lake conditions.I think a lot has to do with how much confidence YOU have in that particular spot.Let your judgement be your guide.:big_smile:

8. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I find it very very hard to be patient and stay very long in new spots if that's worth anything.

9. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    well thanks guys this did help out. :big_smile:

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I bank fish so I stay put, but if they are feeding I catch them quick...Very seldom do I catch a fish after seting 8hrs in one spot with no hits.

11. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    If Im in a boat I try to give a spot atleast 20 mins if Im on the bank Ill probally stay alot longer.confidence in the spot determines how long Ill give it.

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i agre with flathead hunter, if there in the area you will get them, if not try another hole, like last night fished 8 hours no bite, before that i pulled a 30 and a 50 pounder along with a 6 pounder, now nothing, so tonight ill try another hole, i can back this up by science flatheads hold in a 70 yard area, only moving around at night, but the purpous is not just to eat, they rome for domanation, and food, so if you threw the fish into another area . hes gon, so im movingon to a differant spot tonight,, and in the day they sit, still in a hole, and ambush not chase and run, like at night, thats wy wen fishing a dam, you never can tell you got one til you reel in , does this help , and no im not a know it all theres guys on here that know and studied cat behaver four 50 years im only 25 been flathead fishing hard for three years, but this year ive got to another leval and im getting beter thanks to this site, lets keep it running brothers

13. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If I'm tournament fishing 30 min max because I'm fishing for aggressive fish to limit out. Then I move to the flats for the big 'uns and stay there as long as I "feel" they're there. So I guess it comes down to individual choice. Good luck out there

14. lswoody

lswoody Member

State:
    Alabama
    Most of the time if I'm in a boat I'll wait about an hour. Now if I'm fishing a hole known to produce I'll sit there 2-3 hrs. If I'm on the bank I'll move after 20 minutes mainly cause it is easier to move. Good fishin, Scott Woody