How long to wait to set the hook, Please advise

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by foreverflathead, May 22, 2006.

1. foreverflathead

foreverflathead New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    For several years now I have had trouble hooking the fish that I do manage to get to bite. I use large chubs or medium bluegill for bait and usually get lots of hits but the majority of the time I feel the pressure and set the hook only to reel in and find my bait has been descaled but no luck setting the hook into the fish. Ive tried letting them pull line untill I thought Id run out and Ive tried setting the hook right away and everythin in between. Please tell me how all of you improve your hook up rate.

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    are you fishing off the bank or out of a boat

3. foreverflathead

State:
    Nebraska
    The majority of the time I fish from the bank or off from an old bridge.

4. Rebelchevy

Rebelchevy New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    well i have had that problem too i jsut use another leader and hook the back of the bait with a treble hook but it depends on where u r fishing and if u have alot of stuff to get hung up on

5. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    you using any type of rod holders or...???? how are you setting up? do you just lay the pole down, do you use a clicker?

6. foreverflathead

State:
    Nebraska
    I am usually holding the pole and am using the clicker. As far as using a second leader and hook it seems to tangle alot in the fast current the bait doesnt seem to be able to move as much.

7. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i put my rod in the rod holder. when i see i have a bite i pick it up so proably about 3 or 4 seconds lower my rod and take out all the slack then i wait for a good take and send it home. maybe you could use a smaller bait if you get a scaled bait or a smaller hook that can fit into the cats mouth better?

8. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Wait 3.427 seconds then set it. Ok just kidding.

Need more info on you type of hooks, line, rig, etc

9. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    when i first started fishing , i used a clicker too, and thought that was the only way to go...but i missed alot of fish..I would suggest getting you a good rod holder that can hold your pole, when a fish hits it, and dont use a clicker, let the fish feel the tension, and when he bends the rod tip down, take the pole out of the holder and set the hook all in one motion..Once I stopped using a clicker, i started hooking up with alot more fish.

10. foreverflathead

State:
    Nebraska
    I have several rods with several different setups on them. One with 40 pound mono one with 50 pound spider wire. Also I have tried several types of hooks and sizes with the same results. Please let me know how all of you rig yours and with what style and size of hooks. I am just about willing to try anything.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Roger, I don't know if it is an old wives tale or not...probably some other brother on the site can shed some light on this...at least provide his/her opinion...at any rate I have always heard that flatheads will hit the perch to kill it, then set there and descale the perch before injesting the body. Because of the dorsal fins, fish swallow other fish head first. So, when I fish for flatheads I always hook the perch through the lips or through the eyes. If the old wives tale is true, the hook is going to be one of the first things in its mouth and I believe I have a better chance for a hook up. I always picked up my pole at the first indication of a bite (When it killed the perch) and set there with the pole in hand while it scaled the perch. When it started to swim off, I would jerk on the pole hard enough to make it cross eyed for about 5 minutes... by the time it got it's vision back, it was almost on the bank. LOL Hope this helps, but you will find your best educator on catfishing is experience.

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    If you are bottom fishing use 5/0 - 7/0 Gamagatsu circle hooks and 2oz. -4oz. of weight. The hooks will set themselves. If you feel you must set it, don't try jerking the lips off. A quick short jerk will work fine.

MAKE SURE THE HOOK TIP IS EXPOSED THROUGH THE BAIT!!!

That is the biggest error I have seen with people using circles, not letting the hook tip and barb stick all the way out of the bait. That hook tip has to be able to catch on the outer jaw of the fish.

If you are using a good size bait and you are getting a "tap tap tap", then you may have some really small cats nibbling at the bait or perch pecking at it.

13. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Generally I use 8/0 Gamakatsu circle hooks and have had great success with them. I use them with 50# mono leader to a swivel then one bead and a slide rig. I try to get by with as little weight as possible. also make sure the hook is exposed down to the curve of the hook. I hear kahle hooks work well in 8/0 to 10/0 but I have yet to try them.

Good luck!

14. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    deep down in your heart, you know when to set the hook. be one with the catfish. when you feel the time is right to set the hook i believe you should. if the rod starts goin crazy then jerk cuz thats the physically right time to tug on it!

SEE YEA ON THE WATER!!!!!!!

15. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    Once you see youve got a bite, let it take 1-2 runs before you jerk your rod and try to set the hook. Or you can use a Gamakatsu 2/0-4/0 circle hook and if they take it, theyll hook themselves.

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I had the same trouble for awhile fishing with "J" hooks. Now I let them run for about ten seconds and really set the hook hard. I found I wasn't setting hard enough to tear the hook out of the bait and into the Flatheads mouth. i've never tried circle hooks. I'll have to get someand try that. I don't believe they take the time to scale the bream. The last one I caught had a 6 inch turtle in his belly.

17. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive had the same problem alot with live bait. When it happens to me I find alot of times that the hooks has doubled back into the bait. or its scaled from the hook to the tail. this year Im going to try a stinger hook & also hooking thru he lips instead of the dorsal fin area. Good luck & if I find anything that really helps me I'll let you know!..Abu65

18. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    You could setup a stinger rig. You have a normal 'J' hook with a few inches(depending on bait size)line with a treble hook. You can either tie it from the eye of the hook, or form the lower end at the curve.

|
    |
    |
    J
    |
    W

Hope that is clear enough. Hook the 'J' in the head area, and the treble hook towards the tail area. You hook far more fish with this rig. We use it while drift fishing alot.

19. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I had the same problem with flatheads early on.I would let him run off a few feet of line. When I set the hook I got nothin or got my bait back all messed up. That was with big gills and a 8/0 gamma octopus. Now I use 9s or 10s the 8s are now for cutbait. What I changed about hook setting was as soon as my clicker made any noise I pick up the rod and engage the reel,take up slack till you feel the sinker or the fish. Keep that connection and let the fish move off you will feel your sinker lift off the bottom and your rod will bend( load-up ). As the rod bends more and more the flat will close his mouth tight cause he thinks the bait is slipping away. When you feel that head shake, set hard. I think you will be pleasently suprised. I rarely miss fish any more.

20. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I keep an eye on my float, when it goes down, I pick up the rod and point the tip at the float and slowly start winding in. Tom Cat sets the hook for me.