How Long To Stay and fish a spot before moving and fishing another spot?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by hct236, Apr 10, 2009.

1. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Just wondering, if you guys were fishing a lake/river you never fished before, and are trying to locate the fish, how long would you stay at a particular spot before moving on. (During summer time and assuming you are not catching fish at the spot)

2. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Good Morning Howard and Welcome to the BOC.
    I normally give a spot about 30 Min's before I move.

3. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    we like to chum for channel cats in the summer. If you're in a good spot you will catch them almost immediately.If it's gonna be any good I will get a bite on the first cast almost right away.No more than 30 minutes at a spot if it's not producing.On the river at night I'm not too comfortable motoring a lot so I'm more inclined to stay longer in one spot but that's more out of fear of tearing stuff up than anything else.

4. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    30 min for me too, except at sundown if I'm in a transistion type area(drop off from shallow to deep), in this kind of area I'll wait a little longer because they usually will produce at that time.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    It depends on what the spot has to offer. Location, bait fish, etc. No more than one hour if it looks promiseing.

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I usually rebait and wait another 30 min. :wink:

7. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If I am targeting channels I will sit 15 to 20 minutes tops. If nothing is happening I am on to the next log jam. Almost always, if the spot is gonna produce it will be immediately.

8. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    I usually stay 45-60 minutes in a spot, then later I rotate back to that spot, we usually fish the same few bodies of water so we know them pretty well!

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Fan cast as far and close to the bank at different depths(slip float)Bottom to top; with several bait types,( mine would be #1, cut bluegill/salmon strips, chunked shiners,chicken breasts soaked in cherry/strawberry koolaid , try all of above with half nightcrawler topping the barb of the hook if all fails, which I doubt it ,,you should have something if the channels are there.

If nothing in 15-20 minutes go down the bank as to double your casting lenght, and start over, you will find them I gaurantee it. watch the bank, others may leave a hint to what they are hitting on..Good Luck:wink:

10. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I'm probably the oddball. If I'm trying to target the big boys, and I know there in there, I will stay put for a long time and let them decide when they want to feed. If I'm just out fishing for the heck of it maybe 30 minutes to an hour before I think about moving.

There are times when I like to fish when I know there is a front moving in. I kind of like to pay attention to the pressure systems. When i'm fishing, I'm in no hurry. About the time your ready to give up, I don't. Sometimes it doesn't work out, but when it does, it gets fun. Then it is time to hang on and enjoy the ride while it lasts.

11. shadchucker

shadchucker New Member

State:
    indiana
    No more than 15 to 20 minutes at a log jam for channels, flatheads i will usually wait 30 to 45 minutes.

12. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Normally I will only stay on a hole for no more than 30 minutes.

13. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
  14. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Channels are a swimming tongue, if they are around they will bite almost immidiately. I wait 15 minutes and then move on. I used to wait 1 or 2 hours, ounce I started moving more my catch rate went up alot. You also want to make sure to keep fresh bait, and change bait often.

15. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Another vote for 30 minutes here, even if I like the spot i'm in I still change and put fresh baits on every 30 minutes.

16. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    In my boat, maybe 30 to 60 minutes. From shore is another story. I'm pretty much lazy and have a bad back so I generally figure a spot and stay there unless something really makes me want to move. Too much stuff to keep getting together and lug around. If I don't catch anything I may or may not return there at another time. A lot of factors figure in such as the time of day, weather, water levels.

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    If I'm in a boat about 30 min. If bank fishing as I get older with a bad back it is getting easier for me to stay in one spot all night.

18. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    If Im in a boat Im moving every 30 mins unless Im catching fish. If Im on the bank I am relaxing. I dont move around bank fishing for cats.

19. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    10-15 mins tops for me. If something doesn't bite by then, they either aren't there or they are not feeding. However I have fished a brush pile or an eddy early in the morning, go 10-15 without a wiggle, move on, and come back in an hour or so and get bit as soon as the bait hits the water. I will wait it out when fishing a tail race, maybe 20-30 mins. before moving.

20. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    If Im fishing from a boat, I'll give a spot 40 minutes tops...if its a spot that I have fished before and got fish out of it, I'll sit there for longer...