How long to fish a spot

Discussion in 'Carolina Catfish Club' started by Mac-b, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    You can asked several catfisherperson how long they will fish a spot for cats and each one, most likely, will give you a different time period. I know some anglers that will give an area 30 minutes and if they catch a decent fish, they will add 10 additional minutes. Some, if they catch a large one will leave the spot thinking that the area will only hold one large fish. Then I know some that will stay on a spot one hour and five minutes waiting on just one large fish to bite. Some will stay 45 minutes, while others will just stay 30 minutes and leave irregardless of what they have caught.

Why the difference in all these fisherperson. Plain and simple, this is something that they have developed over the years and have confidence in their time slots for certain holes. Also, certain lakes and rivers are different as to areas that hold fish. Some can hold a lot of large fish in one area, while others my have just one or two large fish or none at all, depending on the time of the year that you are fishing that spot. So, the best thing for you to do, if you are just starting out or have been fishing for a while, keep yourself a time log on how long you fish a spot and the results from your efforts. Over a period of a year or years, you will begin to see what is productive for you from a time standpoint. Keep in mind, that you will have to seperate your spring, fall, winter and summer periods to get a realistic schedule of time.

Almost every state is now doing studies on catfish by netting them or shocking them and they can give you information about cats in certain lakes or rivers where they have done these studies. These sampling that they take can inform you if big fish are hanging out together or if they are scattered. Same goes for the smaller cats and medium size cats. I attented a catfish club meeting (Carolina Catfish Club) in Sept. 2008 and the state biologist had a map showing us exactly where and the numbers of cats that they sample in the summer months on a specific lake. They found out that the smaller cats were in one area, the medium size in another and the trophy cats were found close to the dam due to it generating more current than the other two areas.

Again, research your game and thier enviorment and you will become more productive from a numbers and quality standpoint. Also, take advantage of some of the oldtimers that you meet, ask them question about how long they fish a spot, what kind of bait they use, etc. and write all this down when you get home. The more information you can gather and study the better fisherperson you will become. And don't forget, Lady Luck comes in to play when the big one touches your bait and hook. May Lady Luck be with you. Mac

2. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    If you are fishing a spot and you notice that the quality (size) increases as the time passes, stay on that spot more than your scheduled time. Also, if you are catching 3 to 8 pound fish and then all of a sudden, you have no activity, look out, the big one is cruising around and it has scared the smaller fish away. Be ready when he tries to pull your rod in the water. There is a saying and I believe it to be the truth and that is 'never leave biting fishing', I have done it in tournament situations and later someone will come along and fish the same spot and get the trophy that I left behind. That is when you would like to kick yourself in the butt if you could.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Hey Mac, thanks for this valuable post. My stay in a hole is typically dictated by what kind of fishing I am doing and how agressive I am feeling. Tournaments call for shorter periods of time while family fishing, times increase greatly

4. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I normally fish by myself and stay in a hole to long because of the number of rods I have out, I hate to move. if I fish 8 hrs and anchored I would probably hit about 4 spots. I should work on that. I have fished spots and not caught anything and moved and fishing was great but I keep telling myself...."he's gona hit any minute" and sit there. when I catfished in Georgia it was alot about the beer and camp fire, and If you leave it...he will find it. lol I dont drink on the boat/ theres no warm fire/ now I got to move it. man I was trained all wrong.

5. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    how is the bite on lakenorman right now? i've got some friends in the area, that might be curious to giving it a try

6. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Matt, if you can find them, the bite is excellent for the cold months. Also, you have to fish cats a tad different in the fall/winter time. PM me when you come down and I will try to inform you of some areas to fish.

7. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    First let me say, Great post Mac.:wink: You're right, the patience level varies greatly among cat-fishermen. If I could, I'd like to share my timeline for fishing. When drifting, I'll give a drift about 35 to 40 minutes before moving either shallower or deeper or to a new spot. I'm aggressively seeking that one area I can continue to drift over and over again. When I anchor I'll give a spot an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and 30 minutes. Time has taught me to be patient as I've caught good fish after sitting with no bites for and hour.