how long till you charge the battery

Discussion in 'Boating' started by big-muddy, Jul 22, 2008.

1. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i have a deep cycle battery. ive used the running lights for about 7 hours total so far. how long till i should have it charged?

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have a on board charger and leave it hooked up all the time when not fishing. Need to keep an eye on the water level. Batteries are 3 1/2 yrs. old and still doing fine.

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Same here, I have a 3 bank Duo Pro, the boat gets plugged in after every trip and stays plugged in untill the next.

4. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I would think if you do not have an on board charging system that you would want to charge it after each outing.

5. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yup, the manual that came with my charger says to charge within 24 hrs of use.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I guess it depends on how you got yours rigged or want to rig it. I charge my non starter batteries after each fishing tournament and before the tournament. Only time I use them. I have thought about wiring them up so my motor will charge them while under way. If i was you I would charge your battery. If you let a battery get to far gone it might be unrecoverable.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shane if you don't have onboard chargers, I would charge that battery immediately upon arriving home.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    You mean you have to charge them :eek:oooh::embarassed::smile2:.

9. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I dont know if its the right way or not, but I have a deep cycle battery that runs only my lights. My lights draw less than 2 amps. At this rate I might have to charge it once or twice a year (but then again i'm not on the water at night all that often, and its usually only for a couple hours then). If you really want to know when to charge them, take a volt meter to them. When the battery gets below 12 volts, charge it. I got a second hand battery and couldn't tell you the last time it was charged. I've run my lights for probably 8 hours and the lights are still just as bright as can be, so I aint gonna charge it. I know many people that do this. If I was running other things I would charge it more often, but I'm not.

10. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've used mine all weekend. 2 1/2 nights of fishing before the battery alarm on my fish finder started going off. It depends on the size and the condition of the battery too. If your going out of camping. your best bet take a charger and charge it every day. (if you've fished all night).

11. runabout199

runabout199 New Member

State:
    Cartersville, G
    i keep mine charged all the time never know when you will just jump in and go fishing:wink:

12. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    If you want the battery to last you need to charge immediately after you are done fishing and keep it charged all the time. I hook up my onboard charger as soon as I get home. The onboard charger has trippled the life of my batteries.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The biggest enemy of batteries is sulphation of the plates.This occurs as a natural part of the electrolysis process.Sulphation builds up when the battery is used and NOT recharged immediately.Recharging knocks the particles off the plates and forces them back into suspension.Thats why the basic recommendation is to always recharge immediately.Left for any period of time the sulphate particles harden and ahere strongly to the plates and arent always knocked off, reducing the batteries capacity.So do as you please BUT if you want the longest,strongest service life from your battery investment then recharge immediately after every use.More info on sulphation and charging techniques is available at the TROJAN battery website.:smile2:

14. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    mine only runs my starter and my lights. occasionally the bilge pump, but i hardly ever have to use it.

15. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I bought one of those solar chargers for my boat, plugs into the cig. lighter, I also have an onboard charger but hardly use it. Keep it charged up, I use my deep cell for all accessories, and a regular battery for starting the motor, Switched to LED for my lighting, have fished several nights all night long and have not had any problems. but back to the point you should charge it as soon as possible after using it. Just like these fellas pointed out