how long til they spoil after dead

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Aug 2, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i got a 25 pounder will it be safe after bieng dead three to four hours

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am not sure what the correct answer is, but that is a long time. Now if it were on ice in a cooler,then perhaps it would be ok

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I know that in hot weather,fish will spoil quickly. I think its best to dress them as soon as your done fishing,better to take along a cooler and some ziplock bags,fillet knife and ice . That way you can enjoy the efforts of your labors.If the fish was kept cool ,it will most likely be ok.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If it's gills have turned white, i would be leary. I'm assuming it was caught on a line of sort, or you wouldn't have waited so long to deal with it, or let it go.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have heard the white gills technique before, but that seems to happen rather quickly. I am not sure how long is too long

6. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i live 2and a half hrs from the big river and when we go there we bring them home in ice and they keep just fine and make it home alive sometimes

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    can you tell by the smell of the meat

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I will always keep fish thats going to the dinner table on ice, It keep It fresh that way.

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i justg dont want to get sick

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    If it smells it is no good. Try to be a little better prepared next time with a cooler and ice. This is one reason I practice CPR. It seems senseless to kill a fine fish like that and not even get the joy of eating it. I guess it can always be good fertilizer.

Congrats on the catch. Tell us the story.

11. ATTICUS_BUDDY

ATTICUS_BUDDY New Member

State:
    mn originally now NC
    you should have never kept a 25 pounder. 5lbs-10lbs taste the best. and 25 lbs should be returned to one day be the trophy fish

12. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    If it is dead, it is spoiled/wasted. It's realy best to keep the fish alive untill you clean it. When a fish dies it's body makes all kinds of toxins. If that were my fish I would NOT eat it, and I would not have even thought of keeping it. You do have every right to keep it and do whatever you want with it. I think you would have had more enjoyment watching that fish swim away after you released it. Try it sometime.

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The darker red the gills are, the safer the meat. You can safely eat them if the gills are a medium to dark pink, but if they are a light pink to white you may be letting yourself in for a trip to a doctor. Hate to see the fish discarded if they get to that point. Maybe you could cut it up for cut bait and freeze it until you go fishing again.

Don't let the CPR guys get under your skin. That is their opinion and their practices. Your an individual and entitled to all your rights and privileges. Having said that, my opinion would have been to release the fish also. LOL

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    did you catch that fish from the GMR? If so no way would i eat a 25-lb fish from there even if it was fresh.,,that river is so poluted it's not even funny.

if you dont eat it it's just another fine fish thrown in the dumpster.

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Hopefully you are suggesting, not ordering. While I agree, as long as he is within the confines of his states laws, we have no right to demand that he return it.

That said, til my dying breath, I will encourage everyone to try to get the wondrous feeling that I get when I return a monster to maraud the depths once again.

16. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Great catch Man!!
    I use the gill method as well!!!

As long as these big fish are not wasted, I have no problem with a man keeping his catch for food. However I "would" like to encourage you to release the big ones now and then for seed!!!

CPR is a choice made by the individual, not a demand!!!!

17. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    The fish being dead is why i originally said "was it caught on a line of sort", nobody with the kind of skill it takes to land such a fish, intentionally lets it lay dead for a period of time. If ya want to eat your catch thats your business. PLease invest in a ice chest and a few sacks of ice.

18. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    he was in a ice cold cooler at 2,30 i dont know wen he died but i put him on ice at 7.00, he looked good meat smelled good and im eating it sick or not,it couldent of been dead long, he looked alive but wasnt moving , the water was cold wen i checked him in the morning, i got an oriantal freind that will eat them, after being dead for one day, from veitnam, he said he has never gotten sick, my dad says hes still good its all i8n the frezzer now, big meal, next time i eat one i8 will pack him in ice istead of tring to keep him alive, i always practice catch and release but in this case i was hungry for fish, no shortage of them here, theirs plenty to go around, never take more than you can eat, i was mad wen i seen a guy get twenty flats and take them all home, he fished out my local dam in two days,

19. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Willie welcome to the BOC. I saw your post just after you put it up and the first thing that went through this old head of mine was When will the CPR buzzards start picking on this dead carcass! lol Man it never fails. Don't wait and hear the particulars just jump right in there an insinuate if not out right accuse.I'm sorry you had to go through this. You will see it many times. Listen if you have any doubts about that meat don't eat it. I seriously doubt that there is any one on this board that hasn't wasted a fish one time or another. It's not worth getting sick trying to appease them.:wink:

20. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well im a catch and releas guy with flatheads 90 prcent of the time never take more than you can eat, 9 times out of ten i let them go