How long til the catfish move into a baited hole?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jlingle, Apr 29, 2007.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I baited a hole up at our local lake today. I had some absolutely dreadful soured corn with birdseed in it. I had put old beer in this concoction about 3 or 4 weeks ago, and it was really ripe.... maggots, flies, gagging and all. Anyway, I put a bunch of it in a small bucket with a lid and drilled holes all over the bucket sides, top, and bottom. I pitched the bucket overboard and poured the rest of the corn/birdseed right around the general area.

How long do you guys think it's gonna take for the cats to find it? I baited the hole today at about 1:00 and they hadn't found it yet when I checked it this evening.

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I will bet they are eating on it as we speak....:big_smile:

3. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Dadgummmit!!!!!! NNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!:angry:

4. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    They done found it. but it still should be good in the morning.

5. TnShooter

TnShooter New Member

State:
    E. Tennessee
    I'd have to agree with the others they are eating on it now.
    But I'd say it will be good for a day or two.

6. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    Usually, if they're in the area they'll have found it within a day, if not hours. I prefer to bait with the same bait i am going to fish with (cut bait, which i cut into much smaller portions than i normally fish with). If you bait them on a regular basis for a few days, they become accustomed to finding that particular bait at that time of day and will return to find more at that time each day. If the only similar bait happens to be on your hook when the come looking....hang on to your rod. :lol:

7. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    if its really foul stuff they will be on it usually within an hour or so. i would not be surprised if you find some carp around as well. if you put alot of it out then there will be fish in the area when you return. i am thinking about going and chumming one of my favorite spots tonight and the going and fishing it tommorow night. hopefully it will work, but who knows.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Over bait em and fishing will be worse then it would have been without baiting.

I'll sour 3/4 of a 5 gallon of grain like corn or sorghum or even wheat if there is no current.
    Out of that 3/4 bucket I'll take a scoop and sling it across the water in a fan motion on 5-8 different areas.

That gives me that many different places with varying water depths and cover to fish and just enough chum to grab their attention and pull them in.

I used to have alot of success with channels chumming on Harris Lake.
    I'd bait my holes before dark then kick back with the Bojangles tail gate special and tie some leaders.
    About sundown I'd ease up onto the first hole. Some nights you never left the first hole