How long since you used your spare tire?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Mar 6, 2007.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was wondering how often others use their spare.

Been around 25 years for me. The last time I had to use the spare was on a 76 Ford and we had it between 1976 and 1985. Since then I've had a couple tires that had slow leaks but had them repaired without needing the spare. We're on our 7th vehicle since that 76 and the spares have never been on the ground. Must be better tires and roads or maybe I'm just lucky with not having flats?

Don't laugh, when you get old, you may also have these thoughts! :tounge_out:

2. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    I'm 36 years old and I got my first flat tire (on road, not off) in my life about a month ago. My good luck ran out. The tire had a big, unidentifiable piece of metal stuck in it.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    That reminds me,If you haven't used/looked at your spare in a while check it.Make sure the air pressure is still up.The spares sometimes have a tendency to lose air over a period of time.Its better to be safe than sorry!

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I must be getting old, because I've been giving that some thought lately, too.

The last and only time I used my spare was 1981, when someone went through the parking lot at work slashing tires. I've had a few slow leaks, a couple of nails, and a cactus spline once, but never to where I had to change a tire on the road. Modern radial tires are pretty amazing things.

5. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Oh man it has to be 30 years, the only thing I remember is I didn't like changing it, vowed to keep fresh hooves so I wouldn't have to do it again.

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I live waaaay out in the rough stuff...'bout once a year for me.:sad2:

7. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Also a good idea to make sure it is still there too! I noticed about a year ago right after we got back from a trip to Chorpus Christi that my spare had been stolen somewhere along the trip!! I have not replaced it yet, just carry a couple of cans of fix-a-flat in the tool box.

A 20" spare is not very cheap, probably why they stole mine!

Darn Texans anyway....can't trust ANY of them! :wink: :big_smile:

8. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    last thanksgiving on my way to my parents house was running late and bam tire went flat jacked my truck up took the tire off and was lowering the spare when for no reason my jack slipped out i am glad i put the flat tire under the axle housing it messed up the rim but a few hundred bucks got me a new one from now on i am calling triple a

9. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Never have used a spare. I wouldn't even know how. That's what eprge is for LOL

10. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use mine every day. It's a good place to set a plate of Cookies.:lol:

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have changed mine a few times. Mostly because of cutting corners way too sharp and going way too fast doing it. lol

12. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    The only flat I can remember over the last 20 years, Jan and I were fishing at Kaw lake and on the way to town we had a flat, and a nice young man from Okla. State Un. felt sorry for an old man and changed my tire. That was in July and hotter than a pistol. That was 1995.

13. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Some time in the late 70's, had a recap disintegrate.

Other than that , they have been kind enough to go flat in the driveway so I can plug em easy.

14. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Who is that young guy in that picture?? :tounge_out:

15. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I just got rid of my 93 Toyota 4x4. 278,000 miles on it and the spare had never touch the ground. It's probably even rusted in and couldn't get it out of need be. But that's someone else's problem now.

16. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The last time I changed a flat. I actually used a bumper jack. LOL!

17. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    So I go and read this thread this morning

Go out for lunch and FLAT TIRE!!!

Well I figure out how to lower the spare tire down from under the vehicle by putting a special tool in through a hole in the back bumper.

Well the comes down about 4 inches and stops!

So I crank a little harder (must just be stuck from never being used)
    A nice POP!
    Now it still won't go down but it won't go up either.

Anyway, 4 guys, prybar, plyers, few wrenchs, and about 45 minutes and we get it off.
    Put the the handy-dandy spare on and WOW almost flat!

Did finally make it to the tire shop, but now I have to remove and try to repair the spare tire hanger contraption.

All I can say it's a good thing we don't have to use the spare tires very often!

18. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    a year or two....................

19. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    WELL I'VE OWN THE SAME TRUCK FOR 4 YEARS AND HAVE NEVER USED THE SPARE. LOL

20. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I actually cannot remember the last time i needed a spare tire, prpbably be a good idea to check the air in it!!!