How long should you fish in one spot?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by bigblaze, Nov 7, 2005.

1. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    hey guys need some help...we fished the Cape Fear saturday night, caught one small channel and a decent blue.

How long do you fish a spot.. :confused: :confused: I have heard 30 minutes I heard 20 minutes...I guess it depends on how much confidence in your spots....but we fished several spots where we were marking fish but no takers.

we typically stayed about 20-30 minutes in a spot...

any thoughts would be appreciated

2. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I normally stay between 30 minutes to an hour or so, if I am catching fish in a spot I usually wait there longer. I fished for 5 hours the other night and went to 4 spots.

3. catfishingcpa

catfishingcpa New Member

One hour is the norm. Then it is time to boogie. I have found the fishing is real good between lock #3 and Etown. It has been kind of slow (for the Cape Fear) from Riverside on toward lock #3.

4. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    It all depends on how I feel about a spot. If I know there have been fish there, I will stay and wait for a while. I mostly flathead fish and they tend to move in and out of a spot but will normally feed in areas repeatedly. We have caught several fish from one or two spots but you have to be patient flattin'.

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well I run my guide service two ways 1. Are you looking to catch alot of cats or 2. Are you looking to catch some big cats. ( Big fish is over 20 lbs to me here).

1. I will give them 20 mins to bite or we move
    I need to catch 10 fish an hours or we move
    No more than two hours in one spot and i won't fish that same spot for
    two or three days

2. Bigger fish I need to see something in 45 mins or I move
    Never more then 3 fish from same hole
    And I look for two big fish every hour

6. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

If wishes were horses! LOL

7. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i fish some spots for over an our. i guess it is like a pair of luck undies or something else. if you know the spot is going to produce something than you stay. most fish do what they call home range. they dont go far from where they live to find food. and i try to use this theroy its best. i have fish a spot for 3 hours with no bite than all of the sudden a 58 lber is at the bank. so i guess it is that you just have to have faith in the spot and faith in you bait too.

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    well cataholic may sound like a wish but has worked so far this season. I put over 60 cats 20lb up to 52 lb so far this season in the boat . And have had days of over a 100 cats on 6 different trips.

9. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice going Tim! I usually just drift fish from the boat in lakes and reservoirs, so I'm covering a lot of area that way.