How long on the internet?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by gargoil77, Jul 14, 2008.

1. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    How long has everyone been getting on the internet? I started in 1996 when my step father-in-law gave me one of those computers that laid on its side. I think it was a 286? Don't sound right but it was something like that. Used dial up and thought I was in heaven. LOL Used it mainly for chat.
    Crap it's going on 1am! I need to get up at 5:30am. Damn internet.:smile2:

2. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Had my first computer about 12 years ago was an AST from Wally World the hard drive was 525 MB.And had that ssssssssslllllllllooooooooooowwwwwwwww
    dialup.

3. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i been using the internet about 10 years , mainly to check out fishing web sites and look up info some chat a friend gave me this computer which is now about 12 yrs old lol still does the job for me :0a23:

4. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    First one I had that would hook up to the internet was in 97. Dail up of course. Slow and had so many on it in our little town you couldn't get on half the time and when you did most of the time you'd get knocked off.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I remember the IBM I had with the green letters and the daisy wheel printer.... of course I remember Pong and Atari too....

I remember when Windows 95 came out.

My wife worked for a company called Checkfree, when they came out with Checkfree Wallet, and online method of taking payment. It was a HUGE deal to buy a tshirt "online"

I sold garage sale stuff... used clothes even on Ebay when it first came out.

6. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've been on since late 90's. Actually my dial up was faster then than it is now. And it gets slower everytime my ISP sale's out.
    I never chatted, join any groups, posted etc. till I joined this site and it took me a couple years to do that. LOL.
    All I did was look stuff up. That is mostly all I do these days.
    heck I didn't learn to type until a couple years ago. I am proud to say, I can use 2 fingers now and up to 10 words a minute. Smoking.:big_smile:

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Good question.....I'm not sure of the exact year, think it was around 2001-2.

I said I'd never have a computer, didn't want one, didn't need one, wouldn't use it, etc. :smile2: Honestly, I still don't do a WHOLE lot with it except frequent catfish1.com and check my email.

First one was an IBM Thinkpad, and I wasn't hooked up to the internet for a while. After a few years, that secondhand laptop crapped out....even though it wasn't used for much except playing Free Cell. :roll_eyes:

I've had this PC since April of '05. (I had to look that up :big_smile:.) I'd joined the BOC before that, but never really checked things out or participated. In May of that year I rediscovered THIS place. Opened my big mouth and posted on a controversial thread :wink:.

One day I saw that little "chat room" icon at the top of the page, and the rest is history :cool2:. We used to have quite a few daytime chatters, and I can't remember everyone who was there that day.....but I know tinboat, dafin, griz, TDawgNOk, and perhaps Cattledogz were there. Dennis (tinboat, RIP) said I hung out for 8 hours :crazy:!

Drank a lot of coffee during that morning and afternoon, and I remember asking Dale (dafin) if he was keeping up with me when I brewed my second pot. Little did I know at the time that I would probably drown in the amount of coffee he's drunk in his life :smile2:.

I do DO a few other things on the internet now, but the real reason I'm happy to have a computer is to keep up with the goings on at catfish1.com.

Thanks go out to Paul and all my buds here on the BOC. :0a31:

8. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Bought a Packard Bell from Best Buy in Late 1994 I think and to save money bought just the PC and got an old keyboard and monitor from the storage closet at work ( with permission!). I had only used a computer for files and data and knew NOTHING about them but had a friend who was on AOL and said it was AWESOME....LOL!! It had the *new Windows 95 and was suppose to be so easy to learn. Got it home and started reading the books, loaded my AOL 2.0 floppy and for the next 4 yrs I think I hardly slept! I was a single, had my own place, and loved to party... I met alot of people who wanted to party... so party we did!!! Did the whole Internet romance thing more than once, met some freaks, met some nice folks and had to get a warrant declared on a "nutcase" when she showed up on my doorstep in NC from TEXAS!! one day! ( Important lessons learned there I tell ya!!! She had left a husband and 2 kids in the middle of the night, she was a bi-polar off her meds and had been violent in the past and institutionalized!!) Bought newer computers as time went on, started staying out of chat rooms in general but did meet my first and second wives in online dating listings... Threw the first wife back after she didn't meet regulatons... . Second wife is a keeper!!!!

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

:smile2: Oops, that isn't correct. Started hanging out here in May of 2006. Wow, can't believe I had this computer for a year without being on catfish1.com. There's no place like home. :big_smile:

10. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    1984 with an Apple IIc, 300 modem, text only. GUI was barely started.

11. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Windows 3.11 first version :big_smile: with AOL (or Hell)

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Our first PC was a IBM Aptiva June 1997. After I got it unpacked and hooked up was the first time I'd had a mouse in my hand. But I had studied a Dummies book for couple weeks before. I was online sending email within an hour. It used W-95. It was still working when I dumped it in the trash last year all though I replaced it in 2001 with a Dell.

The first computer I saw was the old blue IBM 1800, in 1970. It was very large and filled a room. It controlled the operation of a large petrochemical plant.
    At nights if it went down we would have to reboot it and I hated that for it was such a long process. During the day there was two guys that maintained it. The typers in the control rooms used the round balls. The operators consoles used Nixie vacuum tubes for read out. That was long before digital read out.
    The IBM people that installed the 1800 told me that someday those things would be so small that people would have them in their homes... I though they were crazy.
    It was replaced with a new model in 1985, that was the size of a small refrigerator.

I read that as late as 2006, 4 IBM 1800's were still in operation at a nuclear power station in Canada.

13. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Any of you all remember the Tandy's that first came out (sold at Radio Shack). Friend of mine had one that used a 5 1/4 floppy for the hard drive LOL

14. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas

I have 2 of them that still work. Got a bunch of floppies to go with them and the instruction books.

My unlce had them, was throwing them away a few years ago. Being the junk man I am, I got em stored in my shed.

15. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I first tried the WWW browser Mosaic when it was first introduced. When the web pages came up, I remember laughing.

I'm not laughing anymore.

Back then, everything you needed was on Telnet, FTP, Gopher, or Newsgroups. We did our word processing in Script/GML, which was a whole lot like HTML. Who needed all of this graphics stuff?

I hate to admit it, but I felt the same way about Windows 3.1. Who needed the GUI stuff?

Every once in a while, when I get frustrated when WYSI NOT WYG, I remember how productive I was back then.

I just had to put the pencil to paper a little more often! :wink:

16. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    My first computer was in 1999 I bought it just for games.Over the years I have played a variety of games on PC.My favorite and still sucking spare minutes from me is Counter Strike Source and HalfLife2.I even started playing on the competition circuit but since I had a family and work I didnt have the time to fully devote to it.

I have built my own computers except the first one.I have learned to do HTML,some java and can use most any 3d design suite out there.

None of it holds my attention very well tho so I just get back on Counter Strike and shoot anonymous strangers via the internet :smile2:

17. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Any of you all remember the Tandy's that first came out (sold at Radio Shack). Friend of mine had one that used a 5 1/4 floppy for the hard drive LOL

Wow does that ever bring back memories.... bought a single drive 5 1/4 drive computer from a friend in the early 90's. Hard drives, internet were futuristic back in those days. Had to have a boot disk to start up & everything had to be stored on disk. The delete key was anathama! Knew a friend who lost hundreds of pages of records he was recording with one keystroke! First hard drive bought from Sam's, a 10 meg & never expected to fill it up!

18. Alex J

Alex J Guest

Been using it ever since it's been around for public use. Before that was phreaking and BBS's. :smile2: