How long is the spawn?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by shadmaster, Jun 14, 2008.

1. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Alway heard that the Blue spawn is about a month. Is that accurate? The month of June pretty slow?

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I can't answer that for sure, but I can tell you I've found eggs in blues right on up to November. I don't know what that means, in terms of actual reproductive behaviour.

3. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Im not sure how long the spawn lasts but I believe that they are nesting here in Southeastern Indiana on the Ohio River. The reason I say this is about ten days ago the bite was on fire. Now Its really slow, you may get a few small channels and flats over the course of a few hours. Ive also been told that the channels spawn is already over.

4. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    fished seven hours today ,caught two 3 lb. blues, 20 jugs and had three poles out . its sure slow , with the price of fuel its almost worth waiting a couple weeks and see if things will pick up a little later:eek:oooh:

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    cat fish start spawning at about 75 to 78 degrees and it last about a month.but remember just as soon as she lays her eggs the male runs her off so its a good chance that any fish of size that is caught between june 15th and july 15th is more than likely a female.

6. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks Johnnie, for that info we have been catching some smaller blues but nothing of any size I'll be glad when it is over.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Asking how long the spawn lasts is like asking when it starts; no one really knows.

Lots of folks base it on the bite being bad, only catching smaller fish, catching only males, and countless other factors. The truth is that all of it is an educated guess. What is known is that all of the fish do not spawn at the same time, so mature fish can be caught at anytime during the spawning season.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Another note on how long it lasts is based on water temperature. Eggs hatch at different rates depending on the water temperature. The warmer the water the faster they hatch. So if you play it safe just say 7-10 days.

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I think it also depends on the body of water you fish. Here on the James, it seems to start in mid-May and the bite starts to pick up mid-June.