How Long in one Spot for Flathead Catfish?

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by PaJay-p, Oct 30, 2009.

1. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

How long do you fish one spot for Flatheads? I know we usually don't wait more than 30 minutes in one spot when fishing for Channels.When the Channels are on this seems to work very well I think because the area just gets so strirred up. I seem to use the same tactic for Flatheads but don't seem to do as well. Then I have a habit of sitting on one spot too long I think, like hours.

2. Bassmaster23

Bassmaster23 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Some spots i will only sit an hour.. Other i know the bite is on around 2am so i will stick it out there for hours.. Usually always pays off.

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Good question Jay.It depends on the spot.I got some spots where there,s a lot of cover around,I usually don,t stay at them as long,usually 2-3 hrs because it seems like they,re either feeding there or not.I got other spots where I try to catch them while they,re traveling or on the move,I,ll stay at these spots a little longer and try to get a few while they,re on the move.A lot of it,s just experience,some spots seem to get the bite early or not at all,while others produce only late.I always run into exceptions,but for the most part it holds true.Some spots I have enough faith in from previous times there,that i,ll stay til they start hitting.I always take the river conditions and the season into consideration,but I keep pretty good logs and they,ve proven to be pretty reliable over the years too.I,d keep track and make a list of spots for yourself for early,late,etc.Seems like that,s one of the big differences between channels and flats,if channels are around they usually will eat,sometimes it seems like the flats are there but only decide to feed for shorter periods.IMO:wink:

4. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i agree time of year plays a big roll,colder weather i give a lot longermaybe a couple of hours on some spots.some spots i know if they're there their feeding so i'll give maybe 30 mins. and move til i find them.i have one spot between two sets of shoals that if i fish it i'll set on it all night cause i know thats where the big ones are so i'll wait all night if nessecary for that one bite.

5. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    an hour

6. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Diddo!

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Depends on how well I researched the spot and the cover available, as well as the food chain. No more than an hour.

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    what he said :wink:

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    during bite time an hour,,, then it's poke and jab the rest of the time for half hours at a spot.... thats little rivers. Big rivers and lakes are different... less poke and jab and more time on one spot....it depends on the action I'm getting and wether I'm captain or not, lol.

10. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I agree with Pat! :big_smile:

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    It all depends, my friend!

If you have a boat, you have the luxury of pulling anchor and motoring off to a different spot. I fished for flatheads on a boat with Greatpappycat for the first time ever on a boat 2 summers ago. Talk about run-n-gun, he moved every half our or so.

But if you are confined to the bank like me and most of us out east here, packing up your gear and carrying you heavy-ass baitbucket over the meadow and into the woods is kind of a burden.:embarassed: I may pack up and move once in a night, but that's it!

As for sitting in one spot too long, that's my tactic!
    I believe flatheads don't feed at all time and just have to wait for them to decide to eat. So sitting there and waiting is a MUST!:cool2:

12. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Yeah man. Plus when you are sitting there you can work on catching a buzz. That way at least you caught something.:wink:

13. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Good tactic!!!:wink::smile2:

14. FTL6

FTL6 New Member

State:
    Reading,Pa.
    Yeah, beats the hell out of throwing around a plug or spinnerbait,etc..:big_smile:

15. Ken - That's how the NPT rolls bro.:wink:

Tan - We can change that next year if ya get your arse up here to King of Prussia.:big_smile:

Good posts all. I like to hit at least 2-4 spots in 4 or 5 hours and move accordingly to the bite. I will fish shallower areas shorter and deeper areas longer. Usually the summertime bite is good enough to fish a spot for a few hours. Lately, in the cooler weeks we have been dealing with, I have been soaking in one or two known wintering areas, and moving the bait a little at a time frequently to try to get that bait into the front of a chillin, sleepy Flatheads face.

16. FTL6

FTL6 New Member

State:
    Reading,Pa.
    This year has been a learning year for flats for me. For channels I would move every 20 mins. and had great success at that.If they are there they will hit. For the flats this year I notice they seem to take a little longer to bite. I been in two situations where we sat for 2hrs and nothing ,just before we decide to leave a 20+ is pulled out.Maybe the length of time might be determined by how great the population of that species in that part of river.

17. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Either my shits getting heavier every year or I,m getting older!One move a night for me too.:wink:.

18. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    some spots i do like to stay at a little longer cause i know the fish are around there somewhere and its just a waitin game, or ill hit another spot and come back to that spot. also new spots i usually let baits soak longer to see if it worth tryin that spot in the future. one thing i do like to do at every spot is move the baits around. also i like to cast out far and then let the bait soak for 15 mins. then real in about 15' and let that soak for 15 mins. and just keep repeating this until my lines are in, that way i can locate if the fish are out far or in tight but i only usually do that if theres not alot of snags in that area:wink:

19. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    You got me doing that too Lenny ,its a good tactic and covers a lot of water,it finds the fish if they are actively feeding and gets the bait in front of them

20. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Didn't a catfishing legend tell you that about a year ago.:roll_eyes::wink: