How long have you bowhunted?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by flathead willie, Sep 14, 2008.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I started bow hunting in 1976 when a friend bought two recurves at a yard sale and gave one to me for the $12 he paid for it. I thought he was nuts when he suggested hunting with it. We spent all summer practicing and then started hunting. I haven't missed an opening day since! That bow has given me 129 deer, (12 more with a compound), two wild boars, three Turkey, two Fox, a Bob Cat, and endless hours of fun. Last year was the first time I didn't fill at least 2 tags with a bow. ( I shot one in the pouring rain and couldn't find it.) Bow hunting has become the love of my life. I'll do it until I'm not able to pull it back anymore. How long have you been slinging sticks?

2. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I havent hunted with my bow in 10 years.But I shot my 1st deer with a bow at 14 and missed one season in the 44 years I hunted.BTW I have killed 6 deer,all bucks with my bow.
    smokey

3. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Some friends got me stated 5 years ago killed at least one deer a season since and havnt looked back and wont stop till my body say its had enough. I hunt on the grond without a blind and have only shot two small bucks had oppurtunities at big ones just didnt play out.The rest alll mature does and I am very happy with that. Horns look good on the wall but they dont taste very good.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I bought a compound about 20 years ago. Practiced with it till I got good enough to make a reliable shot. Went three years without getting a shot. Watched a guy at the range shooting a recurve an promptly fell in love with the idea of simplicity. In all the years since, I love practicing with my recurve. However, I have never been able to shoot it well enough to allow myself to hunt with it. Oh, well, it's still a lot of fun playing with it. I doubt if I will ever get good enough, but that's life.

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I started bowhunting around 15 years ago. A friend of mine got me started on it and I haven't looked back since. I'm fortunate enough to belong to a local archery club and practice year round. Bowhunting is my passion, only coming in at a close second to fishing!! I've bagged numerous deer, including bucks and does, 6 turkeys, 2 black bear, rabbits and exotic game. Fallow deer, corsican ram and an emu.

Archery is awesome!!

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Lets see, Ive owned a bow 6 hours and 10 minutes according to the receipt. I cant wait to get my first shot off. :big_smile:

7. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    Well i have been goin bowhunting with my dad since was able to walk. I got my first bow when i was 7, it was a youth model hoyt that fit me like a glove. Contrary to most i killed my first deer ever with my little hoyt at age 8, yea when we got back to the check station most of the guys gave me a hard time cuz i shot a little doe but when all of the older guys started saying that its a lot harder to shoot a lil deer like that than it is to hit a big buck just cause of the size of your target, i have learned that its a lot harder to shoot that big buck cuz of all that bone on his head. Well since that very day i have killed quite a few deer, a turkey, numerous rabbits and squirrels, two coyotes, a ground hog, and a few fish.

I plan on bowhunting till i cant do it anymore, then i will probably be done doin everything else.

8. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the bow hunting world, it is very addictive. I've owned a bow for 15 years and have killed many deer. My first deer with a bow was a 11pt buck that made P&Y with a gross of 137 and change and a net of 125 0/8. I haven't killed a P&Y since:confused2: but that isn't from the lack of trying. Maybe this is the year.

9. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    ive been bow hunting for 9 years. i've killed 11 deer bow hunting. in va bow season opens in just under 3 weeks, i'm readt to go. flathead willie, call me i'm ready
    chip

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    killed my first deer,a doe,at austwell game refuge at austwell texas in 1968.it was a solid fiberglass ben pearson strato jet long bow.in 1992 i hurt my shoulder and couldnt pull my bow back even on 40 lbs.3 years ago i had surgery and for last 2 years ive been hunting again.at 23 i quit keeping count on number of kills.1986 i finished 6 at the national indoor touniment at kansas city kansas.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i used to be sporting goods manager at wally world. i had a friend who wasn't too well off at the time, and i set his wife up with a model 70 winchester .30-06 so he could hunt with us. when my b-day came along right before bow season, he showed up with a bear compound he got at a pawnshop. a week later i killed my first archery deer, and i was hooked! last season i only had a couple days to bowhunt, but managed to get a deer anyway. this will be my third season to hunt with a bow. it's awesome because there's always something new to learn about it, and the closeness you get to game is amazing, as is the adrenaline rush. a few of my buddies are starting this year and i am horrible in the help department. however, we're going to give it hell, and hopefully they enjoy it as much as i do! all the problems i have had tuning my bow and selecting different set ups have been solved with help from members of this site (knock on wood). bowhunting is now a permanent part of my deer hunting arsenal, and i get an extra month to hunt!

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'ld say around 15 years. Had a shoulder injury a few years back that kept me out all season. First one i ever bought was a Darton compound, the a PSE Carroll Intruder which i have now along with a Hoyt. I've bought several over the years but can't seem to find one i like as well as my old PSE. Season opened today in Mo. and i hope everyone has an enjoyable hunt. Moved a stand yesterday but i have to work this week so maybe an afternoon hunt.

13. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    This will be my 23rd year in the woods with a bow. Our season opens today, but I doubt I'll get out there for a couple of weeks.

14. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I`ve archery hunted for the last 22 years and love it ,I would prefer to harvest a deer at ten yards than take one out at two hundred. There is no greater accomplishment than taking a deer when they are up close and personal IMO.

15. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sounds good Chip! If we go back to where we were last year, we may need a bigger truck! LOL I'll call you!

16. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    This is my first year hunting with a bow. I was in 4H as a kid and did archery for a few years there. Never really picked it back up until now. I haven't even hunted yet and I am having a blast shooting.

17. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I have been bow hunting for 12 years now and love it. I shoot year round at 3-d tournaments. When it comes time to start bow hunting im like i little kid with a new toy all over again. Good luck to you all this season. Hunt safe and knock em dead.:big_smile:

18. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    About 18 years for me...Harvested numerous deer and hogs over the years, not sure how many??. Also 2 black bears and a nice sika deer. Nothing beats the rush of everything coming together and releasing that arrow!!!! :wink:

19. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Ozzy, i know your readin this post. Don't give up on me Bro. soon as cher get's it scanned i'll post and send you the paper tunin stuff. Sorry for the delay:embarassed:

20. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Started bow hunting when I was 15 with a recurve, that'd be about 1969. Got my first compound in 1974, shot them until about 5 years ago when I tore a rotator cup and had to quit shoot'n a bow. Started again last year, but came full circle, got to look'n at all the new single cams and split limbs and such, got so confused I ended up get'n a longbow. Oct. first, me and the stick and string will be in the woods.