How long have you been Flyfishing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by BigCat4, Aug 19, 2006.

1. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    Ive been doing it for 4 years now i learned when i was 10 and i didnt think id do anything more fun than that...

You guys?

2. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I started fly fishing when I was 14 and will be 58 in a few days. So, I guess that adds up to 44 years.

I like to catch fish with any method but catching them on the fly rod is my favorite. If ever there was an "art form" or "finesse" in fishing, it would have to be with the fly rod. It is just so graceful to watch to begin with and it seems to captivate so many who observe it in action. But, so many people steer clear of it because they think it is so difficult. Sure, it takes a little time to master but the rewards are well worth it.

Words cannot convey just how it feels when you are casting a well made fly rod that is balanced with the proper line etc. The feel of that line working the rod with minimal work from you is really hard to describe. But, when you get that feel, you know it.

And, the joy it gives you, when you lay out a long line to a feeding fish without hardly placing a dimple on the water, when the fly touches the water and then that fish inhaling your offering in a very natural manner, having not been spooked at all. It is quite exhilirating

3. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    when i saw my dad and grampa do it it was so cool just how theyd set the fly right next to fish and BOOM! and i see it as a art more than a hobby or sport

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Bought my first flyrod back in '71. Had never even seen one, except in Field and Steam or Sports Afield. The rod was at a pawn shop, rod, reel, and line. It was an Eagle Claw with a Shakespeare Medalist reel (the old version with the screws that you have to retighten after almost every trip), the line a level line. Got soemm books and taught myself how to cast, went out to a resevoir built back in the '40's, not big and didn't know if it had fish in it or not. I got the hang of the rod, caught a few 'gills, then hooked a 10" bass. Decided that was fun and have been doing it every since. Back then, no one in Texas to speak of used a fly rod, now they're everywhere, so I've moved on to medium heavy rods, baitcasters, and baits. Still keep a flyrod around and pull it out sometimes. Plan on doing it this next week as my freezer has an overload of catfish fillets.

5. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    been fly fishing about 20 or more years. most of my fly fishing consist of bream in local farm ponds but i love it. biggest fish was 5.5lb bass and that was awsome

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have fly fished over 51 yrs I have always loved It:big_smile:

7. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    My brother (cpalombo from the missouri section) gave me my first fly rod when I was 20. I dont even remember what it was but it didnt have an eyelet at the top- it was a bit busted up.

I never really used it but a few times.

I got one from my wife as a wedding gift 4 years later. That one Ive caught hundreds of things including steelhead (only landed one though lol) gills, ba$$, rainbow trout, brookies, and even a pike. I mostly get my gills for flatheadding with the fly rod- its more fun and in some ponds I can get one withe every cast it seems.

Next week Im going to the kenai river in Alaska for silvers, dolly varden, and rainbows with my brother, father, and grandfather. Ill letcha know how bad I got the fly fishing bug when I get back. Its gonna be the trip of a lifetime.

Thanks for getting me into this bro!!!

Great thread. :big_smile:

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I got hooked on one about 25 years ago. WE would fish the mayfly hatch here on Pickwick.
    And man did we wear out the bream and a few nice small mouth(5 lbs) bass.

I need to buy a new one and try the striper's here when there feeding on top. That or the skip jack.

Any info on what rod would work for bass to striper's would sure help me out .

Thanks Pete

9. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I can say that I am new to this sport. I can't say that I have achieved "art form" status yet!

I practiced first using a split sinker in place of the fly. Unfortunately, I used a weight that was far too heavy. I found that out after dinging myself in the back of the head! I learned quickly that the line, not the fly, carries the weight! The actual fishing trip went well, but not much was biting.

I was blessed to receive the outfit from my grandfather, consisting of both a six-foot, two-piece Walton rod and a nine-foot bamboo rod. The reel is an old automatic, spring-loaded type that I haven't quite mastered, yet.

I'll have to say that I have combined bass fishing and catfishing, but I haven't yet figured out how to fly fish and cat fish at the same time! :lol:

10. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Enjoy your trip to Alaska Sal. Your in for the treat of a life time flyfishing up there. Best trips I ever had were flyfishing in AK and I would go to Colorado and Idaho a lot for fly fishing for trout the best type of fishing ever. I have been flyfishing for 44 years.

11. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    bout 4 years now but i still love it!!!

12. adam j

adam j New Member

State:
    ohio
    I've been flyfishing for about 12 years and tying for about 11. I love it. I like to catch anything that swims including fish that aren't normally targeted with a fly rod. To anyone who is starting don't be afraid to try different things. READ, READ, READ. and talk to as many other flyfishers as possible.

13. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    48 years ... and now, all over the world for anything that swims.

14. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Dada started teaching me to flyfish and tie when I was about 9, that was about 36 years ago. Back then it was trout in western PA, now it is anything that swims in Louisiana.

15. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    My Grandpa got me hooked on it about 25 years ago. I also like to tie my own flies which is fun and gives you a great feeling of accomplishment when your flies catch fish.

Good Fishin
    mike

16. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've been flyfishing for nearly 40 years. I truly regret that I pushed this aside for too many years during my 20's. I've caught everything from bluegills and bass to trout and catfish. There are no bad experiences whenever there's something on the other end of your fly line. I agree with Mike81 about fly tying. This really brings the flyfishing experience to a full circle. Plus, fly tying is a great way to pass time during the cold winter months.

mike in SW VA

17. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    It's hard to tell, probably around 9-10 years old. I lived right next to a spring creek that had a lot of brooks and wild browns. I used to tie some crude looking flies from the duck feathers I found, and picked up a few fish on them.

18. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Im new to it. Just started last year, havent done that much so far but I do enjoy it.

19. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    I am relatively new to fly fishing---having just started about a year and a half ago, but I am totally hooked (and not just from hitting myself with my casts:smile2:). It is just a great feeling to be out there casting, especially with a nice rig. I have mostly just caught panfish and bass--although I caught my first trout last fall! That was a total blast (my first trout ever).

I watched in a TV show these guys catching sharks on a fly rod---SHARKS, I mean it seems like you can catch anything on a fly.