How long have you been Catfishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by cathouse, Jan 24, 2009.

1. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    How long have you been cattin and what or who got you started .

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Since I was big enough to walk from the house to a small farm pond. It was in my blood to fish.:smile2:

3. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois

same here had a lake behind my house fished it every day with my pops

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Been catfishing since 1967...I was five years old when I caught my first Channelcat!!! Been rippin lips ever since....LOL:wink:

5. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I actually won my first and only fishing tournament when i was 4 years old at a hatchery pond here in NY called powder mill park caught on something a picked up off the ground my dad said , one day i'll load my avatar pic and one of me and the fish i drug around on a stringer and wouid not leave behind or let him carry or put on ice what a proud moment from looks of the pic of me with that fish .

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    My Dad and Mom used to take me with them from a few months old . I caught my first catfish at age 4 on a cane pole blue gill fishing . It was about 3 pounds out of Randolph County Conservation area . Today you would be lucky to catch a cold there . Used to get alot of bambo poles there though my dad used to cut lots of them and use them for bank poles he called slap poles cause he would stick them into the mud where they hung a foot or so over the water and when a fish was on it would slap the water letting him know .

7. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I've been fishing as long as I can remember. My father was a hardcore fisherman himself so I picked it up quickly.

Attached Files:

8. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    been fishing as long as i can remember my dad and uncles got me started some fond memories of those days i'll fish for about anything really

9. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I've been doin some type of fishing since I was 4 years old I would thank my Father if he were still with us but I'm sure he's proud that his grandson enjoys fishing as well and has done pretty well we only recently started buying gear for flats so we were pretty much channel fisherman and carp and he caught a 26" cat a carp 25" had a few break him off so he wants heavier gear he wants a hawg seeker its mh7' he likes spincast I'll let him get what he wants as long as he is comfortable this will be our first season tryin for flats the wife goes too sometimes just got a combo for her too an 808 boss hawg 7'mh spincaster I have 2 king kat poles 2 okuma abf65 baitfeeders we are ready

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Been Flathead fishing for 20 yrs. Been fishing since diapers!:smile2: rollo

11. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I have been fishing for cats more in the last 10 years but with more success in the last 5 years. I target cats because they're the most common fish in eastern Nebraska. Now that my dad has moved to Warsaw MO I'll be spending as much time as possible down there while my dad is still kickin. The bad thing about finding this site is that all I can think about now is fishing and spring time and I'm really getting cabin fever.:sad2:

12. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Around 50 years, since I was a little feller ! First time I hade a willow pole, a piece of nylon line, a bent nail for a hook, and a old spark plug for a sinker ! And actully caught a channel cat on it... Pretty hard to put those red worms on that nail though LOL...........:smile2:

13. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    You know thats amazing how simple things can start out a willow branch a nail and a spark plug , and look at us now how complex have we become to accomplish something so simple we choose to go with the best and sometimes the most complicated equipment and tackle around , case in point for me always had spinning rods because it was easy found the BOC and bought reels that that literally gave me head aches just learning to cast them LOL . but would i do it again HELL YEAH in a NY minute .

14. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    I've been fishing for over 40 years, catfishing about a month! :crazy:

Have not caught a catfish yet, but I'm trying to remedy that.

Don't owna boat, or a truck. Don't know anybody that does!!!

Retired AF, moved around too much!!!

15. Vekta

Vekta New Member

State:
    CA
    Hmm...lets see I was about 6 years old when my dad first took me out. I'm 22 now...

16 years off and on.

16. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Got my start catfishing when I was around 3 years old. That would of been 1967. Remember catching bullheads with my father and gramps. My cousins were involved to. Used garden and sewer worms for bait. Stick or cane pole with line, hook and weight. I never looked back, it's in my blood until the day I die!!!:wink:

17. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    my dad used ta take me with him fishin when i was around 5-6, and my grandfather had a pond on his farm we would also fish at, so i've been at it for 37 yrs.

18. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Been fishing as long as I can remember.:crazy:Mom and dad fished a lot when I was young. Then for some reason they quite fishing as much when I was in my early teens. Once I got old enough to drive got back into it on my own. Been chasing cat hard for 38 or 39 years now.

19. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    I guess I was about 5 or so when my Dad started taking me with him and my Mom to the Delta in and around the San Francisco Bay area. I'm 49 now and hav'nt slowed a bit. Something about fishing that stays with you forever:smile2:

20. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Since I was old enough to hold a cane pole (1964 or so). My Grandpa' was a retired coalminer turned commercial fisherman living on the Ohio River in Cave in Rock, IL. Not a bad place to start out as a youngster.