How long for your flathead catfish bites?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Shawn, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm doing an informal poll here...

for those of you who've caught 20# and over flatheads, about what percentage of these fish hit baits that were out for longer than 30 minutes?

Shawn

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    100% in my case and have set as long as an 1 1/2 hours with my bait swimming before they hit

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    you really dont expect me to remember that do you,shawn? lol i would guess about 10% of the baits. i dont usually let them set that long unless i've caught a bunch then they shut down. after about an hour ,on a spot with no hits ill move.

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Not sure the percentage but most all of them. Right off hand I only remember one hitting in the first 30 min. As long as my bait remains active I don't change it. I've had gills last 6 or 7 hours under slip floats before a flathead decided to grab them. When using cut bait I'll rebait about every hour or so. Now this is in a lake, in river current I'd probably change cut bait more often.

5. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    if i know im in a good spot at the right time of year its not so much "how long ive been in a spot" its"'is my bait still lively".therefore i dont leave my bait out much longer than an hour.with cut bait ,fresh bait means more big cats.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    80% of the time. I think the time of the year, weather conditions and moon phases also plays a part on the activity of those fish.

7. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    I strongly agree

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I usually only give them 15-30min tops if they are there they will usually bite. 90% of the flatties I catch are within the first 5-10min of being in a hole. If I mark a fish and he doesnt bite I will go find one that will and come back later and try him again.

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    As long as it's lively and moving around, I keep it in the water.

10. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    About 50/50. There was one time that I was fishing on a lake by an old fallen tree and I could see a nice size Flathead from the boat. I put a live Shad and a live Crappie about 2 foot in front of her. It took her 2 1/2 hours of moving up and back, from my bait to the tree till she finally came up and ate the crappie. So you realy never know how long is to long. As long as your bait would stay alive is what I would leave mine out if I knew they were there.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have had them hit within 10 minutes of the bait hitting the water, but in my experience it's 30 minutes to an hour. fishing a lake now, so i might change baits 5 times in a night. when i fished rivers, i wouldn't fish one spot more than an hour. i miss those days on the rivers!

12. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    if i am on the river i dont sit longer than 20 minutes on the lake 45 min to 1hr 15min now my 55lb hit within 3-4 min of casting and i have heavy hits before i could put another rod in the water and been times when sat for 20 to 30 min and cant catch them fast enough flatheads are territorial thats true but they will travel a couple miles in a night and its proven by tracking devices

13. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Most of the time if I dont get a good strike within 30-40 minutes we move. I have seen some good cats landed within a few minutes(<10minutes) of setting up. Other times when Im being lazy and at a good hole we wait and the bite might take a hour or two. For example one time I set up on the Mo river and I landed a dink flathead within minutes..the next strike came 2 hours later and my brother landed a 48 lb flathead..Good fishin.

14. Rootwad

Rootwad New Member

State:
    Platte City, MO
    If it is a good spot where there "ought" to be a fish there, as long as my line is moving slightly or I still can feel my bait moving I will leave it in. However if I suspect my bait is dead I will replace it or move.

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The longest I have sat without a bite in one spot is from 7pm to 2:30am, then I caught a 33pounder. I re-baited and tossed back to the same spot on the bank and caught a 41 pounder 15 minutes later. I don't know about you but it was worth the wait. Both of those fish were personal bests at the time. I usually set up in an area of the river that I think flatheads either live or travel thru. If I target a specific piece of structure that "has" to hold a flathead I will stay all night. If I don't get a hit I'll come back next week and do the same. If it looks like it will hold a flat it does. He just wasn't hungry the first time you were there. If you want to catch one over 20lbs you have to put in the time to learn where they are or go fishing with someone who has already done it.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    tough one here cuz i cant see em. the ones that hit sometimes after 3 hrs may have just swam up from the next hole down. or maybe just came from under a log. i know one thing if there feeding and its in front of them thell hit it. when in ohio at the 04 gathering i had a 4" crappie out for 20, min or so, i felt like it needed relocated. apon reeling it toward me i took my hand off the reel 1/2 way back to the boat for a coulpe seconds. when i began to retrieve it again low and behold a 5# flathead had inhaled the bait.

17. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I had caught a 2 30 lb flatheads caught last year caught in about 10-20. minutes of just getting set up. One of witch was caught on a dead bluegill. My airrator went dead.

18. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I fish all live bait under slip floats and they set 98% of the time longer than 1hr. today I went fishing and had a 6"blugill set in 71/2 ' water on a rock flat for hour or so before the flathead came around, it went down twice but no fish,going this weekend to try again.

19. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i've only caught like 7 shovelheads that were 23#'s and over n 3 were caught on bluegills that had been out for hours.but most were caught within 5-10 minutes of hittin the water.like oneday i was fishin a a paylake with 1-2 inch bluegills and i caught a 23# shovel won $50,came back baited my pole threew it out and as soon as it hit thre water i had another one.it hit the water went under and never came back up.set the hook n it was a 28#shovel won $50 more dollars.