HOW LONG FISHING FOR FLATHEAD CATFISH

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT, May 20, 2009.

How Long Have You Been Fishing cats.

1. 1 to 5 years

2. 5 to 10 years

3. 10 to 15 years

4. 15 to 20 years

5. FOREVER AND A YEAR

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Just curious.I grew up right in the heart of Pissburgh,PA.When I was a kid(longer ago than I,d like to admit),we only had two choices for river fishing,either cats or carp.I usually fished carp by day then cats at night.Then they cleaned the rivers up and you had the bass craze,then walleye,then stripers.It seems like around here the cat craze started about 8 years ago.Just curious about how long the average BOC brother has been fishing cats.I remember having to use all saltwater tackle because you didn,t have specialized catfish catalogs.I think it,s all a good thing!The more the merrier.:big_smile::eek:oooh::big_smile::smile2:

2. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Pat, I like this thread. I have fished for cats, mostly channels since I was need high to a grasshopper. I just got to tell ya that everytime I read one of your post, I get a mental picture of Jack Nicholson from ya. Especialy the way you expressed the city your from. I gotta give ya a rep. Your even a good look-a-like in your previous avatar to him....LMAO

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Bullheads were my first ever fish caught along with blue gill. I found out about flatties and channels and blues way later.

4. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Some of my earliest and fondest memories are fishing with my grandpa when I was just a little squirt. We used chicken livers and Velveeta cheese for catfish. Always had a worm out for panfish, though too. These are some of my best memories of my life. We used to walk forever to get to these farm ponds---and build a small fire next to the pond. I will never forget those trips---here is to you grandpa, RIP.

I was out of fishing for a while, but got back into it recently (past 3 years). I started back targeting channels, and then flatheads this past year.

5. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have been doing it for the better part of 64 years. The last 2 years I didn't get to hit the rivers much due to a couple heart attacks and some surgery. But I am trying to make up this year. I have averaged at least 3 times a week in 09 either for Shovlehead, Crappie or Walleye.

6. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I put 1-5 because it said flats. Then read the thread and you said cats. Been chasing flats about 2.5 years. Cats since I was a kid.

7. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I have been catching Catfish almost all of my life but I just started for the Flatheads a little over a year ago.

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I been catfishing most of my life but been targeting Flatheads for about 4 yrs. Still catch more channels than flatties. It's still fun to hook into the channels though. Guess as long as you're catching fish, it's better than being skunked most of the time.

9. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I never even knew there was a flathead or a blue for that matter until about 4 years ago. All I ever knew was channels and bullhead (AKA The Mudcat as its known around here) and Ive been fishing for them since I was probably 5 or 6.

10. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Since I was about 18, so 12 yrs now. I hired a guide when i was 18, loved it, got a boat, and been doing it ever since.

11. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Been catching catfish all my life, when I was a kid we had Flatheads in our river I don't know what happened to them but they disappeared for about 10 years. There back now and we are catching them again.

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    started out as getting messed up out on old country roads fishing for bullheads, wen i was 19, then at 20 started in on channels, and carp, got boring, then at twenty one i got the sicknes wen i seen a guy get i5 flatheads a day, at a dam, then i learned what to use and how to get them, and eversice 22, im 26 now ive been fishing for thm, but, in the lats year two years i relized summer was not the only time you could get them, then i became a real diehard, this year being my best, becouse of the knolege of the boc . now im looking forward to the altamet cat thrill the bluecats, but, i put them eqal, i realy dont think blues get alot bigger there are just more of them, and more food were there at, so people say there the king of americas cats, to me they are both kings, a flatheads bolder, but blues are a little bigger, and more fun, to get in, becouse they dont take you to the bottem wen you hook one its your falt if it gets off, were a flat wraps u, so thats my story, hope u enjoy it

13. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I've been catfishing since I was 5. almost 21 years now and still feel like a little kid everytime I feel mr. whiskers on the end of my line

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been after them since I was about 25 years old, I am 50 now..Started out fishing for channel cats, when I caught my first flathead I was hooked for life.

15. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Catfish were the very first fish we got started on at the good old age of 3-4..We would sit around granpas ponds with our cane poles watching those red and white floats( bobbers) we called them back then.. and we caught the heck out of big channels, and had a few of them drag the poles in too..My cusin would always swim out to get them.:wink:

Great thread,,, Even better Memories:big_smile::big_smile:

16. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Been fishing most of my 65 years.:wink:...
    Doing the cat thing for about 20 yrs, and Flats since joing the BOC in 05....
    Got to drive 200 plus miles to get to them......:angry:

Bayrunner Ray

17. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Is there any thing else to fish for?

18. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    like most the first cats i caught were mudcats then at 8 or 9 i noodled my first flathead.its was a little guy and my uncle made me put it back under its rock but i been hooked ever sence.before yall jump on me i quit nodlin bout 20 years ago.o yeah im 67.

19. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Noodle allyou want,I wouldn,t jump on you.Different strokes for different folks.At 67 you,ve earned the right to do as you see fit(except for coming to my favorite hole and outfishing me.)LOL:smile2:

20. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've been at it for almost 34 years now but now I only look for trophy fish.