HOW LONG DOES YOUR BRAID LAST

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Dec 3, 2009.

How often do you change your braid out for new??

1. Less than a year

2. every year

3. every 2 years

4. every 3 years

5. every 4 years

6. over 4 years

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Okay so after some thought i think im going back to braided line. I use to use it on my muskie rods all the time, but when i went to catfishing i switched to BBG because i thought i would be fishing more cover and it sank better in the ponds i was fishing at the time. however, i think that for my purposes braid is the way to go. with bbg i change my line a lot, a few times a season at the very least.

so, how long do you generally leave your braid on before you change it????

why?? and What type do you use??

2. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    i have changed my spool 3 time in 3 months. i get snagged and its the line rapped around what ever under water and brake's off. 30 yards hear and 40 there 20 here and i am out. I get snagged and try to use a stick to break the line to save the braid from digging into the line on the spool and the line snaps at the reel and not where the snag is. it's a chore for me. i'm using 80lbs PP hi-vis yellow.

3. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    like i said i used to use it muskie fishing and it wasn't a big deal if you did get snagged because i would say my average cast was 50 feet and under. and even if one took a good run on the drag, i never used over 120 feet of line, and that is being generous. a really big one may take out more but not that i can think of. i used 80 lb PP then. so changing line out wasnt a big deal. but paying $25+ per reel for line, i was wanting to get an idea of if i can afford to fish the stuff. i fish a lot so it will be getting some use...

4. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    I have some reels that the braided line had been on for I know 3 years or longer.

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I use 65# P-Pro and it can last one day or 2 years. It depends on the snags more or less.

I've never had to change it because its old, only because of break-offs.

-Jim-

I didnt use the poll because there is no way for me to answer it good.

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have some #50 on a couple of spinning reels my son uses for going on 4 years. I use #65 on my 6500 & 7000's and since I only bank fish the river, I also get snagged quite often and usually lose large chunks at a time. So I respool when I need to.

7. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I use power pro 65 lb and I got 2 seasons on it now.
    I always use a mono leader either 30 or 40 lb test, the only braid I lose is when I tie on another leader.

8. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    great info guys, thats exactly what i was wanting to hear so far. my mono i change at least once a year because it gets old if nothing else. so if braid is able to hold up for years except for when i have to break off a section...

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Jay hit the nail on the head. Use a leader of less test capacity. When you break off, the leader breaks, NOT the line. I've had Power Pro 100 strung up on my rods over two years and it shows NO signs of weakness, just getting shorter every time I tie on a new leader. BTW: I am also trying Sufix performance braid, and I like it every bit as good, or better than Power Pro, but, it's MORE expensive than PP!

Bill in SC

10. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Bill thats exactly what i was hoping to hear, i have already made the switch on a few of my rods, and im going to continue to switch over until i have all PP. if i can find 100 ill use it, however i have only been able to find 65 so that will do for now.

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    65 is as big as you will find in Wal-Mart. I'm watchin' a 1500 yard spool of 100# red on eBay right now.

BB in SC

12. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    10-4, i may need to do that myself then, ill look for some green so i dont bid against ya...haha

13. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    cabala's sell's heavy PP. i got 80 on my two poles. I got a couple stores where i could go up to 150 but i like the yellow and cabala's has green,red,and yellow.

14. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    why do you like the yellow over the other two, more visible at night??

15. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    i can see the line better day or night. the yellow is real brite when its new. It does fade. I really like to see the line.

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The yellow does NOT show up very well at night. The red is the most visible at night to me.

BB

17. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i use 80# power pro and about 4' of mono leader and only lose braid if i cut it off myself cause it gets weak spots or nicks on it, i've had this line on all year and over the winter i'll just reverse it on another reel, i use 40# mono as leader and that saves me loads of braid due to snags. i also like the high vis yellow for night fishing.

18. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    i dont like braid:confused2:

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I LOVE braid! :wink::smile2::wink:

BB in SC

20. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I changed mine after about 3 years..however, if I don't get to fish more than I did last year, hell I might get 10 years out of mine!