How long does the spawn last?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by freshbaitrules, Jun 11, 2009.

1. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    When do you guys plan on heading back out? I know the bite has been off for a month now and was wondering when it was safe to go back in the water.

Have been busy w/ the croakers. Went yesterday and got 30 keepers but a little on the small side. Each trip lately is producing smaller fish each trip.

Ready to start going for bigger fish each trip:smile2:

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Jeff - I've always looked at the # of citations caught by month (http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/varp/citations.asp) as a guide to how they bite through the year. I know not everybody submits the forms, but it's still a good sample of data.

2007:
    May: 16
    June: 36 (18 through the 23rd, 18 the last 6 days of the month)
    July: 68
    August: 83

2008:
    May: 16
    June: 43 (28 through the 21st, 15 the last 5 days of the month)
    July: 54
    August: 86

So based on that it looks like it picks up the last week of June, but it's still not great until August. But compare that to 153 in March 2008.

But good thing those guys who caught the last state record didn't base their decision to fish on these numbers. Can't catch 'em if you're at home.

I still love the winter and spring.

3. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    Hey Josh, nice information. Thanks for that breakdown that helps a bunch.

4. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    i will be in the chic area from july 2nd -5th. i hope to do some roaming on the james and the chic. did you do any croaker fishing down around yorktown jeff? i have been thinking about below the loading pier near the cheatham annex. i have fished the west point area 2 times and did not really get the good croaker action like you normally get. a lot of small ones and very few bigger than 14 in.

5. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    Hey James, The last two trips I have made over the past four weeks have really slowed on the bigger fish. Still lots of action but the biggies seem to have slowed way down. I have been putting in @ coraker landing park. Best of luck and I hope you do well. If you go PM me w/ a report.

6. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    thanks jeff, i will keep you posted if i go for the croakers. my family usually camps at glouster point july 4th and fish the lower york and mojback bay. i have a feeling that all this rain is messing up the croakers. i have always been told they do not like a lot of fresh water. some friends went out in the bay last week to fish for croakers and 6 only kept 240 in 2 days of fishing. i can remember when you could fill a cooler with bigguns in 4 hrs or less. this year i am camping at the chic so i have the option of looking for cats or slipping over for croakers. the worst i can do is sit all weekend in my boat away from work and catch nothing:wink: