how long does braided line last?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by msucatfish, Mar 21, 2009.

1. msucatfish

msucatfish New Member

State:
    mississippi
    If you take care of it, with maybe once or twice a week fishing how long will braided line last before it needs replacing?

2. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I've got an old J. C. Higgins reel that my grandfather used when he was in his 30's. It's spooled with black dacron...the line is probably 50-75 percent as strong as it was when he bought it. If super braids are really "Super" then who knows how long they might last. It probably has more to do with abrasion damage. Personally I would change it after it starts to look pretty roughed up or when I can break it with my bare hands.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Zac, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:, best catfishing site on the web!

I've got some 65lb. power pro that has been on some reels for 2 years with no signs of needing changed. I've got some 100lb. power pro that is going on a year or so with no signs of needing replaced. I used to wait until I needed line to clean my reels with mono but now I have to clean them as needed. Also like that about braid, I can take the reel apart removing the spool full of line and get it put back together without the line giving me any problems since it has no memory and lays flat on the spool. If it ever wears out I'll post it LOL!

4. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i'd say anywhere from 3-6 years if you have multiple reels you can "flip it" after a couple of years and its like new. i say 6 because i have a spool thats going on 6 years and i flipped it last year.

5. msucatfish

msucatfish New Member

State:
    mississippi
    whats flipping?
    I have an idea thats it taking the line off and respooling it backwards :confused2:

6. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I had some 12 lb spiderwire spooled on a spinning rod that had 2 years of wear on it. Then I got married and hung up my rods for 12 years. Got back fishing last year, fished with it just fine all year. Landed a couple of nice cats and a few 10# carp on it. As long as your not seeing signs of fraying I wouldn't worry about it. Its not like mono, it won't degrade from a little sunlight. If it starts getting fuzzy on the end, cut back, and retie.

7. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    thats exactly what it is. i forgot to mention that i'm using 300 yd spools if you think that makes a difference.

8. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I used to go through alot of power pro (loss to snags) before I started using mono leaders. So I would have to spool up about ever 1.5 seasons but now the line should last for about 3 seasons with a flip of the line.

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've only had to change my braid because I broke it off here and there and eventually I just needed more line back on the reel.

10. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    when spider wire first came out with braided i contacted the company to ask some questions. i was going to rig up my crappie poles with the stuff and wanted to know what would affect the line. they said that it was impervious to everything. gas, sunlight, said acid was the only thing that would affect it.

11. msucatfish

msucatfish New Member

State:
    mississippi
    thanks for all the information, its really good to know that even though braided is expensive it lasts longer than mono

12. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've got Power Pro that's been on some of mine for at least 5 years and shows no sign of deterioration. I cut off any frayed sections, and reverse the line on the spool occasionally.