How Long Do You Wait To Set Hook

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Shootandfish1, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Any 'rules of thumb' on when to set the hook on a cat? I've been waiting until I think my line is about to get tight or the line stops moving,reeling in to remove slack.

When would one let a fish run, leting line out of the reel?

If it matters-I'm talking about smaller, eating size-for now.

Thanks-Fred

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    that really depends on the fishes mood at the time. sometimes they play with it or their running away from another who wants to steal it and you have to wait a while before setting. other times their aggressive and you cant set fast enough.You pretty much have to miss a few times to figure them out that day.

3. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    on small fish (6lbs or less) I set it as soon as I get the first hard pull, on large fish, i pick it up on the run.....nothings set in stone tho, and each day can be a little different.

Today, I had 1 lbers hitting in a tap tap tap fashion, and a hook set more like a sweep, or pull if you will, was hooking them.

4. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Well, usually when I'm out I'm catching small to medium sized channels and as of late I watch my line bounce a few times and then I pull straight up and set the hook. If it's a big fish I usually miss the run :smile2: but if I don't miss the run i hit it while hes running w/ it. It's kinda a trial and error thing. A big help for me has been using 3/0 khales they always get a good hook set for me and usually the hook isn't swallowed.

Hope I helped you out a bit. If you have any other questions throw a pm my way.

Tom

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    usually if the rods bent the fish has it and is going the other way, good to drive the hook home.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    It pretty much depends on wether or not I'm in the middle of a sandwich or not. LOL! I fish primarily in free spool with the clicker on. Luv that sound. LOL! Generaly just a few seconds. Time enough to get it outa the rod holder,enjoy the sound for a bit more and then do the magic.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    My rule is never to let a fish run out any line. As soon as I hear the clicker I turn the handel to engage the reel and then hold the rod till the fish loads up. This is fishing flatheads with live bait, If the clicker is going off they have the bait in their mouth and no amount of "letting them run" will get anymore of it in their mouth so stop the reel and let them load up then set the hook. For channels you'll most likely get a small click and have to engage the reel and wait for a good second jolt to set on. Just raise the line in front of the reel with your finger and when you feel a strong pull set. I have caught 1lb channels on a 10/o gamma octopus hook so I know the smaller ones have the bait. Just give it a try. Get in tune with your bait, sinker and fish. Don't let them run.

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I pretty much do what Barry does. I usually set the hook after "i think i have a solid strike". Usually after the second time the rod twitches(flexes) or however you want to word it. I mostly do channel cat fishing though. I have limited exp on catching flats. On carp fishing I wait till i get a run but thats a whole different chapter......

9. Diego

Diego New Member

State:
    California
    Are you using an engaged spinning reel or a baitcaster?

If you are using an engaged spinning reel, the best time to set is when the fish is pulling and your rod tip is bending. You may get a "tap, tap, tap," but when they have it in their mouth and are swimming away with it, your rod tip will bend down unless they are swimming toward you. You want to set when the fish has it in their mouth. If your line goes slack, the fish probably has it in their mouth and is moving towards you. The best thing to do here is pick up your rod, watch your line, and then reel down and set if your line begins moving out again. In current you're going to have to determine if the line is tightening up faster than it should, but it usually is pretty easy to tell the difference between fish and current by watching how your line moves. The line usually jerks around a bit when a fish has it, where as current is a steady movement.

If you are using a baitcaster in free spool, set when they start to steadily pull out more than an inch or two of line. I like to pick up my rod, turn the clicker off, point the rod tip at the point my line enters the water, and barely rest my thumb on the spool to stop current from taking out line and better feel what the fish may be doing. One good run with line and I set. Fish on :big_smile:

Hope this help!

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Shoot, if I knew the answer to that question I'd be a rich man! or at least never hungry.

I had a situation this weekend where I had 2 sustained 8-10 seconds (I'm slow) runs with 10/0 King Kahles. I flipped off the clicker (no not with my center digit) and waited to feel pressure. When I felt the pressure I set the hook to air.... :confused2:

I also had lines set with 8/0 Gamakatsu Circle hooks (both inline and offset, I use both) and never missed the other 5.

For Channels I like using a very limber rod (tip bends easily) with a circle hook and leave the reel engaged. I rarely if ever miss a hookup in that manner. When you fish tightline remember two very important details. Make sure that your rod holders are good ones strong enough to hold up and make sure that your drag will slip before the line or rod breaks.

Good Luck!

11. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks to all-I am trying to get all the chores done around the house and packed before heading to Florida--Lots of things I don't understand about the tackle-hook type and I don't know much about big fish rods and reels-I've been looking over my Cabelas catolog-but will be staying not far from Bass Pro in Orlando- When I can, will ask for specific info.

Fred

12. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I keep my drags tight all the time. or just enough so line will peel if it's big.

I use #4-6 circle hooks with no-roll sinkers in the california set up (bottom).

when rod bends. start reeling..

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I think you said you're mainly fishing for eating size channels. As little weight as possible (split shot, if you can) and a small (3/0 - 4/0) circle. With circles you can go to a much smaller hook and not worry so much about the fish getting gut hooked - they're designed to hook the corners of their mouth. Also, you don't have to worry about setting the hook. In my experience (not much, if I'm getting dink-tapped to death, I tend to move) if they're just barely pecking at the bait it's a crap shoot if you'll get a set on them, anyway. Keeping your weight as light as possible and some slack in your line will tend to let them take the bait more often as they don't get "spooked" by the added weight of the sinker or line tension and drop the bait. Good Luck!

Branden

14. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    The best time to set the hook, seems to be 2 seconds before I do. (I miss a lot of them).

15. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Yeah the wind syndrome I have that had happen to me before. Then you have the buddy tapping on your rod(rod holder) syndrome when you ain't looking... Enjoy that Bass Pro Shop in Orlando i have been to that one before leave you wallet at home other wise you been buying up the whole store.....:wink: