How long do you make your drops on Juglines

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by porboy, Aug 27, 2006.

1. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I am making some new jugs and was wondering how long you all make your drops on your juglines?
    Thanks
    Bill

2. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I make mine to reach the bottom so I can anchor the jugs.

If you make them long, you can adjust the length by wrapping the line around the jug and tie it off.

Robert

3. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I'm sorry Robert, I meant the drops from the main line to the hooks. I didn't make myself clear. 18", 12" 8" etc.
    Thanks
    Bill

4. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I usually try to make mine anywhere from 2 feet to 6 feet if I am using line. If I am trying to get farther down I'll take a small rope and tie a leader to it.

5. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    I use about 11-14 inch drops with swivels. There is no particular reason I chose that length except it is a convenient length to fit in the 5 gallon bucket after I snell the hook on. Unless you anchor your jugs and then let out a whole lot of line the drop will be hanging pretty much straight down anyway so the length should not be too important. JMHO

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I think deciding factors also have to be what you are trying to catch and the depth of the water. A fellow I know who catches his limit of blues (50), mostly in the 4-5 lb range, Sets his drops at 4 ft in 15 ft of water. He uses floating jugs. Where I fish, most of the lake is no deeper than 15 ft and, if setting jugs at night, the place where I launch gets lots of action with the catfish, but the water is no deeper than 3 ft. There, I'd set my drops at 12-18"

7. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I set mine according to the depth of the water. Say the water is 4' I set it at 3'. But setting several jugs out I fish an area with mostly the same depth and vary it to see where the fish are feeding in a given water column. Hope this helps , just have to get out there and have fun learning.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Bill, I rig up with 3-way swivels then I make my hook drops about 5 to 6 inches and then the weight drop about 18 inches. If you make your hook drops to long you will just have a tangled mess and I run the weight drop lower so if the jug drifts into shallow water the weight will stop the jug from getting to shallow and it also keeps your hook from snagging something on the bottom.

9. Jug-or-not

Jug-or-not New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I run my main line (#18 tarred line) down between 4 and 6 feet with a hook at the bottom. I then tie on another hook off a 4" to 6" drop line about 2' above the bottom hook (only allowed 2 hooks here in MS). The line is weighted with a 3/4oz to 1oz egg sinker. I free float them targeting water from say 14' up to 6'. Most of my hookups are on the bottom hook and with the upper hook remaining untouched....but sometimes I'll catch them on the upper hook and occassionally I'll get a double. Most of what I catch on my jugs are a pound and half to maybe 5lbs but bigger ones will and have bitten my hook. Speaking of hooks.... I have been using #2 Eagle Claw trot line hooks and #4 Kahle hooks. I started with the Kahle hooks but wasn't real pleased. Almost every fish was eye hooked + the eye on the hook was so smal it made tieing them on a pain. I moved to the #2's (I wanted something a little smaller than the kahle's). But these hooks are too thin. What do you guys here use on your jugs?

Jug

10. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I make my hook loops about 6'' and about 2' apart. I use a 2/0 circle hook, seems to work good for me. Only problem I have is when a BIG UN gets on, it's hard to get em in. But it sure is FUN.

11. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I did a bit of research before I built my jugs and I found that the example in the BOC library under Ryno's Noodle Jugs is the best. Check his excellent post for details. My mainline is 30' but I often use it in as shallow as 6-7' of water. Using Brother Ryno's plan its adjustable.
    As for the length of the leader, mine are 6" to try to minimize tangling. Catfish love to twist so don't forget swivels no matter what plan you use.

12. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I use 20 oz. soda bottles with about 5-6 ft. of nylon string, then a brass swivel and then about 12-18 in. of 20# mono. I use 2/0 trotline hooks. I do think that the bottles may not have enough bouyancy to get a good hookset. I have noticed that when a bottle goes to bouncing, the fish is gone before I get there. I'm concidering using that spray insulation foam inside the bottles to add bouyancy. Heck, I might even start from scratch.:smile2: