How long do you let em' run before you set the hook?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Diego, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Diego

Diego New Member

State:
    California
    I fish with a baitcaster in free spool with the clicker on. Whether fishing for channels, blues, or flats, how long do you let them run with the bait before you set the hook? I fish for channels, and it seems like if I get a good sustained pull for 5 seconds, that's the time to set the wood to them. I still miss bites, and I wonder sometimes if I shouldn't be waiting longer. Let's hear from the experts :cool2:

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey stranger, fill in some info and I will tell ya what I do!

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I fish in the same fashion usein a carolina rig. Sometimes I'll wait for a good 10 seconds or better. Other times I will set it immediately. I base my actions on the way the fish have been hitting dureing the trip. I also use circle hooks so doin the circle hook thing to me is important durein the run. Other times I will totally ignore the run cause I'm busy eatin or drinkin a soda. LOL! Then I will simply take the reel off of free spool and continue what I was doin for a bit. LOL! Circle hooks have a great impact on my actions wich will be much different if ya don't use em. Now I fish excluseivley for channels. I am aware that there are other factors to take into consideration when fishin for flats. Type and size of bait will also impact your hook set.

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Our last trip out we had fresh cut bunker. I was keeping the reels in gear and the cats were hooking up on there own (didn't lose a fish). I also use circle hooks and have had great success with them. If you let them run don't let the line go slack, the fish may swim toward you giving the fish slack line.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hearing that bait clicker scream is good fun, but honestly, I get a better hook-up ratio if I just leave the reels engaged and let the fish hook themselves on the bite. (Fishing with Kahle hooks on carolina rigs.)

6. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i fish with spinning reels and most of the time i only give them three to four seconds and i dont realy set the hook i just kind of lean back on them i fish with cyrcle hooks 8ot 10ot

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I once asked a bass fishing guide how long to wait before setting the hook when fishing plastic worms.He kind of looked at me funny and said"Well son they don't have any hands"!:smile2: I Know the clicker sounds cool,but again when blues and channels pickup a bait, particularly if its moving ,they generally turn away.I leave my spinning reels locked down and by the time I get to the rod the deed is done.I use Kahles but the same deal works with circles.If you let the fish turn away more than 90 degrees the line is coming over its head and the hook wont be turned to the corner of the mouth.:smile2:

8. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    When the line starts going out, the fish has the bait in it's mouth. That's the time to set the hook. You can wait a while to see if he's gonna spit it out, or you can go ahead and set the hook while you know it's in his mouth.

9. Lawdog

Lawdog New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When I'm getting a bite I'll pick the rod up asap. I'll then set the hook just as soon as I feel the fish on the other end. If it's a line-ripper then that's gonna be right away.

10. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    when i know that a fish really has my bait, a long run, maybe about 3 sec or more, i set the hook, but i use o'shaugnessy, and sometimes trebels(with stinkbait), but i am gonna try circle hooks so maybe ill wait just a tad longer

11. Lawdog

Lawdog New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm using Gamakatsu Octopus hooks so my strategy is probably a little different than you circle hook users.

12. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Lmao! I am not sure I ever let them run! It's often me thats doing the running:lol: The last couple of times, when using dip bait, you got about two chances to set the hook or the fish be gone and you have to rebait! Once you set the hook, then he runs, but thats not exactly letting him run. It's more like trying to stop the run at that point!

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Diego, using a 7/0 kahle with a normal size bait as soon as i can get to the rod Im setting the hook. If im using an 8/0 , 9/0 or 10/0 then Im usually either using a live perch or a pretty good size bait then as soon as I can get to the rod I will pick it up but instead of setting the hook I will let the fish load up on the rod then Ill try to turn him sideways. If im using trebbles with stink bait and one does actually run with it I will set the hook as soon as I get ahold of it but usually with stink bait you will just have to set the hook when you think the fish has the bait in its mouth.. Hope that helps. 777

14. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    The cats around here tend to pick up the bait and go for a bit just mouthing it a little and then they put it down. If I set the hook too fast I miss em...other times, they just hit it hard and claim it like it's their's, so I gotta go with other posts here and say that it all depends on the action that the fish are offering at the time...

15. nutcase

nutcase New Member

State:
    Murray, KY
    I use spinning reels in the locked position and circle hooks, alot of the time the fish hooks himself. Many times the cats in my area will hit and drop it then a couple of seconds later they grab it again and run. The main thing for me is to wait for the grab and run, then lift and reel.

16. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i usually leave my clickers on and wen the clicker goes off i turn it off and let the fish take line for a few seconds just to make sure he has it and engage the reel and wen i feel the line get tight i set the hook.

17. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    When I see the bite on or hear my clicker go off then Ill engage the reel and feel the line with my fingers to feel the fish pulling, once I feel that I give a good yank and boom its on.

18. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I fish circle hooks 95% of the time and i use the "carolina" rig for most of the time as well... If the rod is in a good rod holder i let the fish run with the clicker on... i love hearing that sound :).... Plus the tension on the clicker usually has enough force to rotate the point into the corner of the mouth... I don't like to have much tension on the rod till i know the fish has the bait in his/her mouth and is chomping away on it... then if they are still moving i flip the freespool off and let them really set the hook hard on themselves...

If the rod isn't in a good holder, as soon as i hear the clicker going off i grab the rod because i don't know if that fish will make a good run and even with the clicker on tangle up my spool and pull the rod in... so i'll hold it in hand for a few seconds... and it'll be less time till i tighten up the line to the fish cause i get a little excited and jumpy...

The only time i really let fish have the bait for a super long time is when i'm live bait fishing cause i'm never positive on when the fish has the bait and when its just the bait making a really strong run to get away from the fish chasing it... so then i'll give it a good minute or 2 till i know the fish has it or doesn't and then reel in the slack. let it weight up the rod and lean back on him if the fish is there...

19. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Depends, I usally set the hook as soon as i grab the pole. If useing circlehooks i don't set hook just tighten line and load rod.

20. CAT ADDICT

CAT ADDICT New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree, as soon as the clicker goes off I grab the rod, turn off the clicker and engage the reel when the line gets tight I turn and yank the crap out of the rod and run back a little to make sure it is set good. I use a 9' rod with and ambassadeur 6000, float and circle hooks.