How long do you keep cooking oil?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by FlashGordon, Nov 17, 2007.

1. FlashGordon

FlashGordon New Member

State:
    Texas
    How long can you keep and reuse your cooking oil? I'm thinking about getting one of those deep frying cookers and was wonderting if I have to clean it out everytime I use it. Does the type of oil make a difference? Canola, peanut, etc?
    Thanx

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    We've got one of the electric deep fryers, we use vegetable oil, and change it whenever it starts getting 'old'. What oil you use is more a personal preference than anything else. I love peanut oil, but it's just too expensive. That's a hard point to pin down, but obviously, it depends in large part on how often you use it, and what you fry in it. I highly recommend getting one of the double fryers rather than a single.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have a cheap one and I change the oil about every 3 times. I use vegetable oil as its cheap at sams club for a 5 gallon tub. I use to use it for everything but use it only for chicken wings now and maybe some fries. Just dont cook fish and later some bird, thats nasty.

4. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Do you keep it at room temp, or put the whole thing in the fridge??

5. crazy cathunter

crazy cathunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    I use a coffee filter and strain my oil after its cool, put back into its container and put it in the fridge until i need it again. Most oils have a shelf life and do spoil. Also never store peanut oil or any oil in aluminum as it will poison you.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    We keep ours in the electric cooker. That may shorten its life a little bit, but not much, and it's certainly better than trying to empty out the cooker after every use. If you're going to go to all that trouble, don't waste your money on an electrical cooker; just use a propane model outside.

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I leave oil in the cooker and empty it after about a week. If I am going to eat fish, I'll make it 3-4 times that week, then toss the oil.

8. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I like to strain mine after every use. Also I throw onion pieces in my oil while cooking, as it seems to help keep the oil from burning..

9. FlashGordon

FlashGordon New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanx folks. I've probably been throwing mine out too quick. I'll try some of your suggestions after this next weekend, provided I catch anything:eek:oooh:.

10. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    As I recall, peanut oil tends to spoil a bit faster than other types of oil. Frying potatoes is supposed to help clarify the oil, so if you're planning a fish fry, you might consider fish first, then chips, and then strain the oil after it cools.

-- Rich

11. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Lot of good ideas. The wife is looking over my shoulder while I'm reading this, and she has found some good ideas, and stuff she didn't know. Keep it up. She is telling me that her oil keeps for quite a while in cast iron. Later Andy