How long do you fish for? While fishing for Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flathunter, Feb 18, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Most of my flatheads come before midnight, with the majority between 9pm and 11pm...Staying all night is usually never worth it for me..But I plan on doing it alot more this year as I have limited time to fish, and want to ge the most out of it.

2. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    When I go, I have been staying all night. I used to only fish till midnight. Some nights I do most of my catchin by midnight, other nights I catch everything after midnight. I have done really good around four in the morning.

I fish a section of river with several down stream spots. I start upstream and work down. I usaully give each spot a certain amount of time. By the time I reach the boat ramp, the sun is close to coming up. I give it about ten hours a trip. I move alot when fishing. Just something about being out all night on the water under the stars. Then getting to here the world wake up and the sunrise. Them bass guys don't know what they are missing!!;)

3. 5gallonsofsafety

5gallonsofsafety New Member

State:
    illinois
    well out of all my past experiences i would say that the hours of 9pm-12:30am are about the best for me. there is the occasional 2:30am flatty as well.but we still try to get an early start. most of the time when we get down to the river we normally stay about 8-10 hours (or untill the gills run out) it seems to me though that right around midnight is the best time especially when there is a nice big full moon in the sky.

4. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I tend to catch most of my fish from 9-midnight and then again from 3-6AM. I usually stay out all night and put up a tent and build a fire cause my 7 YO loves to go camping and fishing. We will make a camp-site and fish and eat and fish and eat somemore. You get the picture.:)

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack,

Are you trying to shed the bad rap that everyone gave you? The "15 Minute Flathunter"? :p

Hey I'm glad to hear this becasue I will be able to sleep some & not drive home & about crash a half dozen times! :p

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i usually get to where im going by 5 pm and stay until 2:30 or so. where i fish i rarely ever catch anything big after that time so i just call it quits. years back i always stayed till at least 8am but i got really tired of driving home with the sun in my eyes in the morning and then sleeping all day.

7. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dink, ya could fish more if ya moved to the other side of the river!

8. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    When I am setting limb and trotlines I usually start right after sunset instead of before to avoid garr cleaning my hooks right after I set them. I usually check them about 4 times a night until sunrise. I usually pull up the most and biggest fish on the third check around 3 or 4 o'clock. I think that is the primetime for big flatties. When it comes to bank fishing or rod and reel fishing i think it is best to stay out all night. ( the longer you stay out, the more of a chance of hooking a monster.) I mostly recomend 2:00 to sunrise. !!!!!!!!!!GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I usually go on all night trips. We will set up camp on the ol' flathead hole fish that and run setlines all night as well. I think all night is the only way to go because some nights the fish bite early other nights they don't.

10. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I usually start in the early evening (1800 - 1900) and fish the backwaters for channels until the sun starts to go down. Then I move into my flathead spots, usually on the main channel and put out a couple of healthy, frisky bullheads, turn on the baseball game and relax. I like to give my flathead spots an hour or two before I move. Last year I normally fished until midnight or 0100. I caught my biggest one last year (55#) at 0030. The river I fish has a lot of cabin cruisers, houseboats, pontoon boat cruisers, and excursion boats (especially on the weekends) that run around until dark. That is a lot of big boat activity in the main channel, lots of big wakes and noise. I got skunked an awful lot of evenings because I think the big fish stayed hunkered down until all the big boats were long gone to bed. This year I plan on doing quite a few all nighters and fishing into the morning hours (0800 or so). I have a feeling that the river I fish has a better early morning bite because the big fish are waiting for the heavy boat traffic to disappear. That is my theory anyway - I am going to change my timing a bit to see if I get better results.

11. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I try to start about an hour before sunset, and I don't leave until sunrise. Some of my best action has been around 2 and 4 am.

12. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I usually stay till about 1:00 or 3:00, after getting there at sunset. Thats not a very good way to do it. I know this season Im staying later, even if I think its done. Sometimes you can be right, but theres flats that come out late in the 3:00 & 4:00 area. So it pays off being patient. It could also depend on the river.