How long do you cook your sauerkraut ?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Netmanjack, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    With New Years soon to be here, my thoughts turn to sauerkraut and pork. I eat it two or three times a year, because I just cant wait. Tammy and I used to make our own kraut and may again some day. I alway start mine around four or five o'clock the last day of the year. A few apples some brown sugar, pork with bone and fat and plenty of kraut. Now I have to tell ya that it is very hard for me to stay out of. I try real hard, but after a few beers and by midnight I have a bowl. It isn't done though. I let it go all night and we eat around one o'clock new years day. I make a loaf of rye bread and mash up a bunch of potatoes to go with it. Man is my mouth watering! lol :eek:oooh::big_smile:
    How do you do yours? :cool2:

2. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Sorry Jack, I open a can rinse it, throw some polish, or some kind of sausage in there, and put it in the skillit till the edges burn.
    Sounds like you got a better plan already Buddy. I like it though. Dont know if my wife wants me eatin it at night.lol

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds good to me Dennis, especially the burnt edges! I may do that one on the river bank.:big_smile:

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I also open a big can of kraut around 10 am New Years Day, add some pork chops after boiling them, brown sugar, salt and pepper , alittle vinegar ,and place in the oven in a pottery dish for around 1 1/2 hours, then put into a crock pot, at low heat just to keep warm until Mid afternoon when we tear into it with the mashed potatos as well!! rollo

5. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    sounds good to me :big_smile::cool2:

6. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Dang! You guys have got this thing down to a science!
    I`m gettin hungry.

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Why butter my butt an call me a biscuit. Eat kraut an weenies ALL my life, never heard of puttin brown sugar in it? I buy the refrigerated stuff, open a sack in a skillet, wack up some weenies or polish sausage, dump in a can of rotel and after it simmers 20-30 minutes, grab a plate.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Oh yeah' John, but not a whole lot. A little brown sugar goes a long way. By the time mine is done you wouldn't know that it was in their unless you had a control pot. lol
    Sugar is the great taste combiner when it comes to mixing flavors in cooking.:big_smile:

9. BAREFOOTFISHN

BAREFOOTFISHN New Member

State:
    SC
    Wash kraut in colander briefly. Use about a quart. Get fresh pork shoulder (picnic portion) or shank portion of fresh ham. Rub with red pepper. Put in crock pot (you may have to cut pork in two pieces.) Dump in the kraut. Slice an apple and dump it in. Cook until pork is really
    tender. Enjoy.

10. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    My diabetic arse cant handle the sugar, but sounds good!

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just so every one knows. The brown sugar isn't for sweeting. It brings the flavor of the apples, pork and kraut together.

It's like the ring in a wedding,
    Like the stitch in a sow,
    It binds like the promise,
    That put white in the snow.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    You guys are making me hungry.

13. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use bag sauerkraut, the kind that has to be kept in the fridge. Put the kraut in a skillet and add some polish or smoked sausage that has been cut to bite size pieces. Let cook together for around a half hour and serve over buttery mashed potatoes.

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My wife eats it quite a bit,Just emties a can in a skillet,slices a few hotdogs in and heats it up. Whats the deal with eatin it on New Years? Never heard of crout for new years,I just thought everyone ate blackeyed peas.

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I was brought up with tamales myself. :big_smile:

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

I gotta ask, granny's or red's? I love them granny's myself. :cool2:

17. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well granddad used to make the best, sure miss it, any who, get some great stuff from a little old run down store town over, about 3 lbs. and 4-5 nice wild rabbits (they are roasted the day before) de-bone all the meat toss in a chunked up sweet Vidalia and let simmer in the slow cooker for well as long as possible LOL, after 4-5 hours add a big ol scoop of roasted garlic and fresh horse Radish...... RYE ROLLS HOT with butter, good ol artery plugg'n butter :big_smile: and a shot of Franks and Mustard........ YUM!!!!!